Chapter Fifty Six

Edited ✔️

Following the trail was easy for Icestar the farther he got along.

He kept on the tracks, wondering where Goldenpaw was off to, when he realized that it lead off of MoonClan's territory. Why would she leave? he thought with worry. Is she so scared that she just abandoned us? He hoped it was not true—her mother would be devastated, and Amberpaw might not be the same again. Icestar knew what it was like to lose a sibling.

He continued to follow the trail carefully, making sure that he did not get it mistaken since he knew that his nose didn't work like it used to. The wind was getting stronger and stronger, he had to walk at a slower pace to keep on track. It wasn't so easy, though. Soon, Goldenpaw's scent was becoming harder to smell, and it started to become dangerous. Loose branches from the naked trees began to sway, indicating that they'd fall soon. Somewhere back in the forest, he heard the loud crash of a tree that fell from its roots.

It wasn't safe at all out here at all. He had to hurry, or something wrong could happen.

Suddenly, he heard a loud uneasy creak. Beside him, a tall leafless birch tree tilted to the side, and Icestar's eyes widened. It was going to fall! He burst from his spot, running as fast as he could just in time, before the tree crashed onto the snowy ground with a defeating boom. The impact made Icestar shake, but he continued on anyways, knowing that he could not turn back now.

Goldenpaw could be close!

Soon, he realized that the scent trail was leading to the cave of the Night Flower, the place where Icestar went to receive his nine lives. What was Goldenpaw doing over there? he wondered. Only leaders and medicine cats visited the Night Flower. He never heard of a warrior, let alone an apprentice, that had anything to do with it.

Icestar ran from his spot, ignoring the scent trail. He tried to remember the direction of the Night Flower, until the cave entrance was in sight. Quickly, he ran until he was in the cover of the rocks and the warmth from the outside. He sighed a breath of relief and turned to the tunnel that would lead there.

Gulping, he went through it.

Goldenpaw's scent swarmed strongly around him as he progressed farther down. When the space was wide enough, he spun around, knowing that she was here for sure. He followed her scent carefully, trying to ignore the sound of the howling wind behind him from the entrance of the cave. Soon, her scent became so strong that he knew she was close.

"Goldenpaw!" Icestar called, keeping his voice down for precautions. There was no reply, but Icestar felt her warm presence nearby, as well as a fear-scent. "Goldenpaw?" he called again, getting a little louder.

He spotted a lump of fur in the darkness, breathing weakly.

Alarmed, he ran up to her. "Goldenpaw!"

Her eyes opened. "I-Icestar?" she whispered. "What are you doing here . . .?"

He shook his head, pressing his warm body against her cold one. "What are you doing here, Goldenpaw? I just followed you." He looked around. "This is no place for a warrior apprentice."

"I had to talk to StarClan," she murmured, her claws digging in the ground. "They are so confusing . . . I don't understand what to do anymore." He listened to her, surprised. "I had a dream last night. There were cats fighting everywhere, blood pooling the ground from the dead and injured."

"Do you know who were fighting?" Icestar urged her.

She nodded. "DarkClan, MoonClan and . . . CloudClan."