Chapter Seven

Edited ✔️

It's been half a moon since Icepaw went to his first gathering.

He lay comfortably in his den beside Dawnpaw and Dewpaw and Volepaw. Today, it was their day off. Brightstar had seen how hard they worked and allowed them for a day's rest. Icepaw was thankful.

Dawnpaw poked him with her nose. "Hey," she whispered. "Are you awake?"

Icepaw yawned. "Yes."

Dawnpaw sighed. "It's so warm out. Want to go out and doze in the sun or something? It's not gonna last for leaf-bare."

Icepaw yawned again and opened his eyes, to see Dawnpaw standing right over him. The apprentice she-cat looked tired too, but she seemed right. Today was such a sunny day. He got up from his nest—Dewpaw stirred, Volepaw twitched. They seemed to be relaxing well.

He stretched out his muscles luxuriously and crawled after Dawnpaw out of the den. He could immediately see that the camp looked deserted. Most warriors were out border patrolling, and some were out hunting. Sparrowheart was sharing prey with Brightstar in the leader's den, discussing matters with each other. The elders were resting right outside their den.

Even Vinetail was in camp today.

"Such a nice day," murmured Icepaw, looking up into the clear sky. There was not a cloud in sight, and the bright rays of light beemed into his eyes. He averted his eyes from the painfully bright light.

Bluewing picked a vole from the fresh kill pile and nodded in agreement. "There won't be any more days like this for a while," the warrior she-cat commented. "Hey Icepaw, I know you're on a break, but can you give this vole to Ripplefur?"

"Sure," he said, taking it from Bluewing's jaws. He padded to the nursery with Dawnpaw at his heels. He could see the queen laying down in the back of the nursery, her eyes wide open in pain. Grayfur was crouched right by the queen.

"Hi, Ripplefur," Icepaw mewed gently. "Is everything okay?" He set down the vole in front of the queen.

"Everything's fine," said Grayfur. "It's just that Ripplefur is having some cramps. That happens to she-cats when they are expecting kits."

"Oh," Icepaw murmured. "Well, I brought you this vole. Bluewing thought you might be hungry." He nudged the fresh-kill towards Ripplefur.

"Thank you . . . " she said. "I'll eat it later. I haven't been feeling hungry."

Dawnpaw walked up to her sister, and sniffed her lightly. "Are you sure you're okay?" she asked. "Maybe you're close to kitting. Maybe that's why your back must hurt so much."

"If it is the kits, we should probably get Vinetail," said Grayfur. "Tell him that Ripplefur is having her pains again. He'll know what to bring for this." She looked down to the queen and sighed. "I hope it really is the kits this time. They're due any day now."

"Come on, Dawnpaw," said Icepaw, padding out of the nursery.

"Do you think it's time?" she asked eagerly when they were out of earshot from the nursery. "If it is, then I can't wait!"

Icepaw nodded and walked into the medicine den. Vinetail was sorting out his large herb supply. He was preparing for the leaf-bare since it was near, and he said that he wanted to make sure that he had enough supplies for the long and cold season. He waited until the medicine cat noticed him.

"Yes?" Vinetail asked.

"Ripplefur is in pain. Her, err, cramps are back," Icepaw informed the medicine cat. He didn't know why but he always felt awkward talking about she-cat topics—things such as kits and whatnot. "She looks bad. Can you please check on her?"