Prologue

Edited ✔️ by JackMccannon

The sky was dark, crowded with endless black clouds against the dark blue scenery. A cold breeze rushed past, sending up a chill on Icekit's spine. A faint hiss could be heard in the black distance, and all the kit could think to do was whimper and back up. He knew something was near. In this darkness, all he could see was the faint gray outlines of the trees, and nothing more. Whatever was out there was well-hidden.

Why am I here? thought Icekit. What's going to happen to me?

He looked around, and his head was becoming dizzy from the feeling of blindness. In enough time, a shape slithered closer to him, and Icekit could feel it. An unwelcoming scent filled up in his nose, and he backed up until his haunches met the bark of a tree, making him jump with surprise. What was even more surprising was the silhouette of the cat, emerging behind the blend of dark bushes.

Icekit's heart started to beat twice as fast as before.

The cat came closer, his amber eyes glowing in the darkness. Now, it felt like the only thing Icekit could see were those savage-filled, blood-thirsty eyes. They bore into Icekit, making him shriek with terror. As the cat lunged himself forward, Icekit turned leaped out of the way and began running as fast as his little legs could take him.

"No!" Icekit let out a wail of anguish and fear. His voice echoed all around the area. He looked back to see if the cat was still following him, and as soon as he turned, the cat's amber eyes blazed and it was as if he yowled with pleasure as he got closer and closer.

Icekit's heartbeat quickened. He was fear-stricken and didn't know what to do. He ran as fast as he could take himself, before tumbling over the risen roots of a rotting tree. The moment his head hit the ground, he knew that there was no place he could run, for his pursuer had reached him.

I am going to die!

With great effort, the young kit attempted to stand up on his feet, but it wouldn't work. The darkness could not let him see where he was going.

Suddenly, a flicker of light cast out as a small tip of the moon peeked out of the trees. Icekit took shallow breaths and swiftly caught glimpses of his setting. Surprisingly, the area looked like any other forest, but darker. A sudden yowl snapped Icekit out of it, and then the cat with amber eyes leaped onto him, baring his razor-sharp fangs.

Icekit shrieked in complete terror. Perhaps this was his last day of life; death would envelop him after all.

The tom snorted. "You should listen to yourself," he sneered, his eyes shining with delight. "What a kit, yowling so unpleasantly! A warrior yowls when they die, not before they die!"

Icekit managed to stare up at the one who had chased and pinned him, revealing a dark-furred tom, with slightly matted fur and amber eyes. A warrior, thought Icekit, his pelt bristling. He then mustered up the courage to growl. "Let—let go of me!" he managed to finally say. He used his tiny back claws and raked them against his attacker's thick belly fur, but it was no use. His attacker purred so loudly, it was as if he was growling, and it made Icekit's throat ache.

However, from right behind his attacker, a half moon began to rise, casting out a bright, pale light in the dark area. The cat and Icekit both were surprised, and looked around as everything came into view. Bushes could finally be made out, most of them leafless and covered in thorns and twigs; marshy grounds took over the underpaws of the forest; scarce pine trees and ash trees alike surrounded swamps which were overlapped by hanging vines. They were in a forest, like Icekit had suspected. Yet this forest was unlike any he'd ever imagined in his entire short kit-life.