Chapter Thirty Six

Edited ✔️

Icetail watched in horror as his brother left the clearing, his head held high with pride.

Sparrowheart . . . Dewstar killed Sparrowheart . . . he thought, his heart pounding hard in his chest. Right beside him, Bluewing was tense. Sharpfang's eyes were sorrowful. None of them could do anything as the DarkClan cats strolled towards their own border, following their new leader. Icetail could not believe this was happening. And to think I'm from DarkClan.

"Murderers," he called after them as the last of their cats disappeared. He clawed the ground in anger and grief, feeling overwhelmingly heavy and hot. My enemy . . . I know who my enemy is. Dewstar and DarkClan are my enemies. I shall never forgive them. I'll never show them mercy.

Dewstar killed our own father!

"I'm going to kill him," whispered Icetail, his heart beginning to pound faster. "I'm going to kill him!"

Icetail was about to charge from his spot to go after his brother, but Sharpfang's jaws clamped onto his tail, stopping him. "Don't even think about it," growled the senior warrior. "There was nothing we could do. Nothing we can do until. We must respect Sharpfang's wishes. You can't lose yourself like that."

Even though his teeth dug in to Icetail's tail, it didn't hurt from the rage and grief he felt. He glared at Sharpfang. "B-but he killed my father," the young warrior protested, as if he were a kit again. "I can't let him leave like that!"

"Be thankful that we did not have an unfair battle," whispered Bluewing, staring down at Sparrowheart's poor body. "I feel as angry as you do. . . but chasing after Dewfang is playing right into his trap. Making a cat's killer instinct snap is just what he wants."

Icetail took a deep breath, imagining the joy on his brother's face when and if he got the chance to sink his claws down his throat, snapping Icetail's neck just as he did to Sharpfang. He cringed, fur bristling as his claws sheathed hesitantly. "Y-you're right. We have to take Sparrowheart back to camp. We must tell Brightstar what happened . . ."

"We must hurry before they come back," Sharpfang murmured, watching the forest as if waiting for the enemy to jump out.

* * *

Soon, Icetail and the others finally returned to camp, his eyes sad and his head hanging. Bluewing and Sharpfang carried Sparrowheart since Icetail felt too pained to even look at his father's corpse. Brightstar instantly sprung from her spot right beside Sagepelt, Nightrose and Silverleaf, and rushed over to where Bluewing and Sharpfang set down the dead deputy in the middle of the camp.

Now all the cats of MoonClan began to crowd. Icetail hated crowds . . . he wished he were anywhere else. He wished he were dead. Death is peaceful and easy. Life is so much harder than that. I just want StarClan to take me already, why must they watch me suffer? he thought with grief.

He looked up, and his eyes met with Silverleaf's. She stood on the other side of the crowd, sorrowful blue eyes that were hard to miss. As long as I live I must look out for my Clanmates, he realized. I can't die because of the love I feel for Silverleaf; the love I feel for the entire Clan. I can't let MoonClan suffer! Icetail knew that following his mother and father to StarClan would leave his loved ones unprotected. Even if he was the day in the prophecy destined to destroy, he couldn't grasp the prospect of leaving them to be destroyed by DarkClan.

Sharpfang quietly told Brightstar and the rest of MoonClan what happened at the border as Icetail left the clearing and slowly padded to his nest. He buried his face in the soft moss and feathers, blocking out all sounds and sights. He was in no position to face any cat right now. He was too weak from grief to do so.