Chapter Fifteen

Edited ✔️

Icepaw's scented the air, scouting all around the area. It was snowing again, and any sort of information that the patrol could possibly find about the attack on Grayfur would be hard.

He was close to his father as they looked around the trees a few tail lengths away from the CloudClan border. He turned to his father. "What if it was a patrol from their Clan?" he asked worriedly, motioning over the border.

Sparrowheart shook his head. "Nonsense." He sniffed hard on one patch of snow, and began to dig with his paws. "CloudClan and MoonClan aren't really much enemies right now. It's just quarrels with DarkClan that's going on."

Icepaw nodded, unsure. He helped his father dig in the ground, ignoring the cold feeling of the snow on his pelt and in between his paw pads. He also wanted to ask when they would be able to get back to camp, but didn't bother because he didn't want to sound like a kit. He sighed as he worked.

"What did you scent down here?" Icepaw wondered.

Sparrowheart looked up to the other cats, who were also digging. "I scented some blood," he replied. He turned back down to where they started working. "And maybe we can scent the cat who did it too."

There was a growl behind Icepaw, and he turned sharply to see Crowflight standing behind him. "I found something," he informed, pawing the ground.

Sparrowheart nodded. "Good work, Crowflight! Keep digging, Icepaw."

The MoonClan deputy trotted over to Crowflight and shoveled at the ground with him. Icepaw kept digging, but when he got to the bottom it turned out nothing was there, not even a clear scent of the cat who attacked Grayfur.

Sharpfang gasped, up ahead. "You're not going to believe this," he meowed, with a sharp glance to Icepaw. "It turns out that there's a cat betraying his own Clan!"

Icepaw trotted over. "What do you mean?" he asked, while adding, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Stop pretending like you know nothing!" Sharpfang hissed.

"I am not pretending anything!" Icepaw shot back, shocked that his own Clanmate would snap at him like that. What did he do to get Sharpfang's tail in a twist.

"I know what attacked Grayfur," he continued. "No fox, badger or any cat from another Clan."

Sparrowheart padded up curiously. "Well, spit it out, Sharpfang," Icepaw's father urged. "I need every information I possibly can get." His eyes were narrowed.

Sharpfang trotted over, carrying tufts of fur. "I found this." He dropped it in front of Sparrowheart. "They're Icepaw's. It was him who had attacked Grayfur!"

Icepaw's neck fur bristled. "What?" he demanded. "I would never do something like that!"

Sparrowheart looked curious but a bit aggravated. "My son wouldn't do that, he's right!" he meowed, calmer than Icepaw had been. "What if Icepaw had been here, but hasn't attacked Grayfur?"

Crowflight emerged from behind Sparrowheart. "I think Sharpfang's right," he commented, glaring down to Icepaw as well. "Grayfur was attacked by a cat of MoonClan, you know. There's no other scent of anything except for MoonClan."

Dewpaw ran up, fearfully in Icepaw's defense. "Icepaw was battle-training with Brightstar," he meowed, his voice low. "It couldn't of possibly been him."

Sharpfang growled and stalked away without another word. Icepaw cast a grateful glance to his brother, but he still couldn't believe that his own Clanmates would turn him over like that. Did they have something against Icepaw? He sighed and looked down to his paws, angry.