Chapter One

Edited ✔️ by JackMccannon

A small body above the awoken kit wriggled with excitement, with a white pelt that shone brilliantly in the sun. His happiness beamed towards Icekit, and he realized it was his brother, Dewkit. Icekit batted his littermate away, slowly getting up, aware that his pelt was ruffled.

Dewkit bounced up and down. "Today is the day Brightstar will appoint us to be apprentices!" he meowed with excitement, nudging Icekit until he was fully awake.

The gray soon-to-be-apprentice's heart skipped a beat at the mention of that. However, he was still half asleep to display his excitement toward the fact that he would soon be a step closer to becoming a warrior. "I've nearly forgotten," Icekit admitted, yawning. "I had a terrible dream. I was going to die, and then a cat saved me." He sighed of relief as he realized it was just a dream. He stretched luxuriously, yawning once more before he looked around, spotting his mother racing up toward his side to rasp his fur with her bristled tongue.

Dewkit sighed and looked outside. "I had a weird dream, too. And I was being chased, but suddenly—"

"Yeah, that's the dream!" Icekit's meow was so loud that it woke Ripplefur. The plump queen's eyes jolted open and she jumped. Her belly was full with kits, which were due soon enough.

"Keep still," his mother, Featherbreeze scolded. "And look, you woke Ripplefur!" She sighed as she continued licking Icekit's pelt. "I want you to look perfect when you are apprenticed. It will be something to remember, so you must make a good memory!"

Icekit groaned, nodding his head dramatically. "Yes, yes, I know," he grumbled. He looked up to the top of the rocky den. The shade was as dark as the setting in his dream, which sent chills up his spine.

It was only a dream, the kit thought, looking unsurely between his mother and brother. After all, he was back in his happy Clan life, nearing a moment that will be one he will never forget—his own apprenticeship ceremony.

Dewkit sat at the mouth of the den and glanced over his shoulder. "There are cats gathering around the Moonrock already," he reported as his voice quivered with anticipation. "Featherbreeze, can we go now?"

Featherbreeze shook her head. "It's not time yet," she told her kits. "We need to wait until Brightstar announces that the ceremony will begin. Then the whole Clan will be called together."

Icekit twisted away from his mother's tongue as Ripplefur chuckled from the back of the den. "It won't be long now," she gently reassured Icekit and Dewkit. She curled once more protectively around her own stomach, but kept her head up as she watched both of the kits.

"You're coming, right?" Icekit asked Ripplefur, who seemed to be slowly falling back asleep. "You said it won't be long. If you fall asleep again, you will miss it!" He ran up to the queen and gently batted her with his paws.

Ripplefur let out a deep purr. "Of course I'm coming. I would never miss something so important." She gave Icekit a soft and reassuring smile, and he smiled back as his brother dropped by his side, curious as to what they were talking about.

Featherbreeze returned over Icekit and began to lick him again, getting out all of the moss that clung to his pelt, and she even smoothed down his fur. He allowed her to do so, because after all, he wished to look presentable in front of the Clan. Dewkit already looked clean, however, and his pelt was handsome especially in the sun. Before the two kits knew it, a voice boomed over the Clan.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, join beneath the Moonrock for a Clan meeting!" Brightstar called. She stood tall at he top of her den. All cats who weren't in the clearing already left their meals and slowly exited their dens, chattering amongst themselves about who would become new mentors.