Chapter Thirty Four

Edited ✔️

A moon later, Icetail thought about the unusual dark day every single night. The thought barely left his mind, and the omen never stopped haunting him.

The days were slow to him, as he wanted them to pass faster, but of course, it wouldn't happen. The prophecy weighed on his shoulders as a burden alone . . . He secretly wished that it was never him who was involved with all this drama. He wished that it were some other cat. But he'd often shake the thought away, knowing how selfish that was.

He padded through the green forest, enjoying the sun on his pelt. It was a little cold that day, so he wanted every single bit of warmth that the forest had to offer; for soon it would be leaf-fall, and then leaf-bare, the coldest season out of all.

A robin chirped within a tree, letting out it's song to the other birds as if claiming its territory. He could hear it, but he couldn't see it. Suddenly, its annoying song stopped, and he heard it squawk in pain. Silverleaf leaped out of the branches from above Icetail, proudly carrying the dead robin in her jaws.

Icetail felt a little amused. "Thank StarClan you caught that annoying thing," he meowed. "It was scaring away all the prey in the forest. I couldn't hear a thing except for that bird!"

Silverleaf dug a hole in the ground and buried it the best she could. "It'll be a good meal," she commented. "And you're right. One reason I decided to catch it is because if it wasn't so loud I wouldn't have killed it in the first place!"

"What's the other part?"

"The Clan could go hungry," she remarked grimly, continuing to pad through the forest. Right now, Icetail, Silverleaf and Shadowheart were on Rainwhisker's moss-collecting patrol near StreamClan's cave of mosses.

At the moment, there were no apprentices. Goldsun, Shiningmoon and Thornheart had become warriors just a few days ago, and the current kits were still too young to become apprentices, so all the warriors were supposed to carry out the apprentice duties until Goldenkit, Amberkit and Blackkit could do them.

Icetail hadn't been to the cave of mosses in moons, let alone talk to Shadowheart properly. He didn't hold his grudge anymore, but in his mind, he still felt a little awkward talking to Shadowheart. He only spoke to the warrior when it was convenient. He hoped that it would change soon, since he wanted to become close to all the warriors of MoonClan despite their differences.

He was walking right behind the two toms with Silverleaf at his side. The cave of mosses was in view in the distance, and he was not eager going inside. Due to terrible past experiences, he was still not fond of tight spaces.

When they got to the cave entrance, he stepped back. "You three go along inside," he offered. "I'll keep guard."

Shadowheart nodded. "That's fine. Good thinking, Icetail."

He dipped his head in a nod and posted right outside the cave.

"I'll stay with him," Silverleaf offered. "Three full grown cats within is a little too small of a space." She sat right beside Icetail, curling her fluffy tail over her paws neatly.

"I don't mind," Rainwhisker said. He crouched down, and gulped in a large amount of breath before crawling within the tunnel swiftly. Icetail could hear Rainwhisker exhale deeply on the other side, letting out the breath he was holding eagerly.

Shadowheart, without another word, followed Rainwhisker.

Icetail kept his gaze out in the distance. The day was getting a little dim. It seemed as if it would rain. The grass smelled like fresh dew, and the sky tasted moist on his tongue. The nearby forest of MoonClan buzzed with prey that was readying itself for the upcoming cold weather.