Chapter Twenty

Edited ✔️

Icepaw's fur was on end as he turned around to face Sandstar along with an entire patrol of cats behind her. Flamepaw stood along with them, but anger blazed in his eyes. He pushed passed his Clan members, standing up to his leader besides Icepaw, a growl deep in his throat.

"You did not tell me that you were going to attack MoonClan!" he yowled, his fur bristling up with anger. "I thought I was your apprentice!"

"You are better yet my son," she hissed. "Today, we will defeat MoonClan." Her evil eyes looked up to Brightstar, and Icepaw's leader stood angrily with her teeth barred.

"Never!" she growled, loud enough for everyone to hear.

Flamepaw stood between the two Clans. MoonClan was yet again outnumbered like the last time. Icepaw felt small as he remembered Featherbreeze once more. But this time, he did not let his emotion and aggression get the better of him. He felt her looking proudly down at him.

You've heeded my advice, my son, she said to him.

It was as if a whole burden had been released off his shoulders, and he felt like he was floating for a moment, until he finally realized that he was still on the DarkClan borders, close to MoonClan. Close to battle.

StarClan is watching over you and your Clan, Featherbreeze whispered into his mind. Remember, the darkness was never meant to be, and two cats high and proud will lead and destroy.

Icepaw inhaled. That prophecy again. But somehow, he knew it was going to help him during the battle between MoonClan and DarkClan.

Sandstar took a step forward, crouching down so that she was face-to-face with her son, Flamepaw. "Oh? So are you defying my rule?" she asked, her voice surprisingly calm. "Won't you accept today's battle, O wise one?"

Icepaw looked fearfully at Flamepaw—the cat who helped save him and his friends. What if he suddenly betrayed him? Icepaw's heart thumped as he forced his neck fur to stay flat.

Flamepaw took a deep breath, and finally, from what seemed like forever, he nodded curtly. "I'm defying you," he hissed, unsheathing his claws. "DarkClan has been living lies for a long time. I won't put up with it!"

"Fine then!" Sandstar yowled, slashing his cheek with her foreclaws with no hesitation. "You're no ally of mine!"

"No!" Icepaw yelped, immediately rushing up to Flamepaw.

Angrily, the rusty-orange apprentice stood up again, his deep growl still present in the back of his throat. "Keep going!" he challenged, standing tall and proud.

Sandstar hissed again and slashed his chin this time, but now, Flamepaw landed his own attack on her, slashing hard on her neck. "I thought you said I was your son!"

"You were," Sandstar growled. Icepaw could tell that Sandstar was trying not to wince in pain after the blow. "I don't need you in my Clan. Go somewhere else for all I care!"

Brightstar stood taller. "Icepaw, come here," she ordered. "I am not going to waste my time today fighting. There will be no more bloodshed!"

Sandstar looked up angrily. "When Icepaw killed Fallentail, that meant war," she said angrily. "You left our dead warrior between the borders as a sign of war a long time ago! And now, that war you wanted is going to start! DarkClan, attack!"

Brightstar's fur bristled intensely. "Icepaw, Flamepaw, get over here!" she ordered. "Get Silverkit to camp and order help from as many warriors as you can get!"

"No, I am going to stay and fight," growled Flamepaw.

"I will take Silverkit back," Skypelt said. "I need to ensure the safety of my kits. I promise to bring cats back with me. Please, Brightstar!"