Chapter Forty Seven

IN EDITING

The next morning, Icetail woke up to a rush of cold wind entering through crevices of the den he slept in. He looked around, wondering. Where am I? Where's Silverleaf? Then, he remembered what had happened the previous day.

I was captured by Dewstar—I'm in DarkClan.

He glanced at his surroundings. The other cats in the prison den, Mudface, Grassheart and Windcloud, were fast asleep, with the two CloudClan warriors pressing close together for warmth and comfort. Then his eyes landed on the exit of the den, the only spot that offered a bit of dim light in the darkness, and he stood up, not bothering to stretch as he padded up close to take a look outside. The cats of DarkClan assembled together, leaving to their patrols in large groups as if readying for battle.

His fur bristled at the thought of being in the enemy camp.

"Get back in the den," growled the cat who was guarding them. He knew this she-cat to be Lizardpelt whom he'd met before at a gathering. "Based on Dewstar's orders, you are not allow to leave."

Icetail hissed. "I'm not even outside of the den!" he growled in return. "Why don't you go—"

Dewstar was padding up, making Icetail hold back any insult he was about to say. Lizardpelt dipped her head in respect to the Clan leader. "Good morning, Dewstar."

"To you too, Lizardpelt," he said gruffly. "Icetail, come with me. We are going to speak in my den." He narrowed his eyes. "I know you have only so much to tell me."

"I have nothing to say to you," he growled to the DarkClan leader, easily biting back his lie. Ever since losing Dewstar, endless questions had indeed aroused within his mind. But now that he faced his brother again, eyes watching each other carefully, he the felt anger and betrayal once more.

Lizardpelt bared her fangs. "Don't growl at the Clan leader like that! What disrespect," she scoffed. "Now do as he says!"

"Thank you, Lizardpelt," Dewstar said. "Let's go, Icetail." He turned away, and began walking up to his den. Icetail hesitated, wondering what was happening. But he decided to follow anyways, since he had no other choice. Dewstar was always unpredictable—that was something he and Icetail had in common, so it wasn't safe to be around the DarkClan leader unguarded.

Yet again, righg now I'm in a Clan full of unpredictable and dangerous cats, he thought with unease, the muscles underneath his pelt tensing.

They traveled up a tall slope to the highest point of the camp, where he felt the stares of every cat of DarkClan. Cats muttered insults under their breaths, twitching their whiskers at his capture as they spoke down on MoonClan. Icetail almost slipped on a rock as he climbed the slope and into the leader's den, and his face began burning with embarrassment. When he entered, he saw that this den was surprisingly no bigger than Brightstar's den, except it was harder to see from the lack of light.

Dewstar sat down on his nest, and wrapped his tail around his paws. "Good to see you again, brother." The white tom's eyes gleamed with fake pleasure.

Icetail tried to shake off the feeling of exposure from being so deep in DarkClan territory and sucked in a deep breath. He couldn't lose his composure now. "Why did you want to speak with me?"

"Don't be so dry," Dewstar responded, flicking his tail. "I only wanted a hello."

"Then hello," Icetail snapped. "Now let me go. I told you; I have nothing to say to you, Dewstar." His eyes narrowed. "You betrayed MoonClan—you betrayed our father!"