Chapter Fifty Seven

Editing ✔️

This book is so close to be done, I'm not even kidding. I'm going to cry when it's completed, really. Thanks for sticking by this journey for ao long! Also, I have nearly forty chapters already edited. Ahh, I'm so glad that the next update was as few as six days instead of two weeks this time. I wrote a little bit each day, and there's a surprise later at the end ;) read to find out!!

a/n this chapter has 666 reads. I couldn't help but notice O__o (12/29/15)

A moon and a half has passed since Goldenpaw had her dream about the battle, and tonight was the gathering. Icestar was sitting by himself in his den, his eyes fixed onto his paws as he thought of the things that could happen tonight. Dewstar could pick a fight, or even attack MoonClan's camp while he's gone . . . no cat was safe anymore, no matter where they were.

A new presence was scented from the entrance of Icestar's den, and he looked up to see his deputy, Ashtail, staring back at him. "The moon's almost fully risen," he informed, motioning outside. "It's almost time to go."

Icestar nodded and got up from his nest, giving a long stretch. He padded from his spot, stopping right at the front of the den. "Before we go, I want to say goodbye to Silverleaf."

Ashtail dipped his head with respect. "I'll start getting the warriors and apprentices ready by the camp entrance," he said, before making his way to the warrior's den.

Icestar stepped into the clearing, and took a deep breath. The air was still cold to the point where his nose felt frozen, but the snow had cleared away, and hadn't been coming down for almost a full moon. He was thankful for this, because the prey was improving in MoonClan's forests, and Icestar's cats weren't so hungry anymore. Nobody has also been too sick this leaf-bare, so Sweetheart's medicine supply was strong.

He spotted Goldenpaw and Blackpaw padding out of the apprentice's den side-by-side, talking to each other. This reminded Icestar of the events over a moon ago, where Goldenpaw had ran away to the Night Flower for answers to her strange dreams. He had talked about it with Ashtail, Sweetheart, and Goldenpaw's parents, but it had been decided that they will have to wait and see what will happen next. Those dreams included CloudClan within them, and Icestar knew that at tonight's gathering, he will have to talk to Swiftstar about Dewstar's threat and the upcoming war.

"Hi Icestar!" called Blackpaw, noticing that the leader's gaze was in their direction. "Is there anything you need?"

Goldenpaw also turned her head to his direction, noticing him as well. "I was just saying goodbye to Blackpaw before he left," the golden apprentice said.

"No, there's nothing I need," Icestar responded, shaking his head. "Carry along." Then, he left his spot to continue his way to the nursery, where Sagepelt, her kits, and Silverleaf stayed. He was lost in thought of what to do in tonight's gathering, but he fully regained himself again.

Silverleaf was close to having their kits. Dewstar had shown no sign of wanting anything to do with them yet, but Icestar was sure that he would pull something sooner or later. It made Icestar uneasy most of the time, as if Dewstar was lurking in the shadows, waiting for the kits to be born just to snatch them away.

He padded into the nursery, and touched noses with her. "I'll be leaving soon," he meowed to Silverleaf.

"Tell me everything when you get back," she responded with a purr.

"I will," Icestar promised. "Stay safe while I'm gone."

Silverleaf sighed. "MoonClan still has half a moon before anything serious happens . . . besides, I can still protect myself."