Chapter Fifty One

Editing ✔️

Gah, I suck. What up with the late updates?! (()) Okay guys, so most of you might know this by now, but when I finish this book, there will be a SEQUAL. The media picture I posted is a preview of the sequel's cover and title . . . is it good? ;D anyways, on to the story!

Two sunrises later, Icestar woke up with a frosty feeling to his nose that made him feel a little bit cold and lightheaded. Slowly, he stood up, stretching his muscles after the tough night's sleep and gave a long, luxurious yawn. He crept out of the leader's den and eyed the camp around him. Everything was bright white. His eyes widened and he looked up at the sky. It was snowing!

For a moment, he took a few seconds to wake up completely as he stared at the snow slowly descending. A droplet of cold snow fell on his nose, and he sneezed, wiping it off. I didn't expect snow to come this early in the season, he thought with surprise.

Sweetheart was the first to greet him. "Morning, Icestar," she meowed. "I didn't expect you to be up this early. Nobody's awake yet except for Mousetail."

"I felt cold," he admitted. "Must've woken me up."

"If you want, I can put extra moss and feathers on your nest to make it warmer," she suggested. "It wouldn't be good if the Clan leader caught a fever."

Icestar shook his head, with one cat in mind. "I'd rather you give them to Silverleaf. When the kits come, they'll need to be warm, right?" Even though Silverleaf didn't want it, Icestar made her move to the nursery yesterday, and ever since then, he had been making sure of her comfort.

"She wouldn't appreciate being treated like that," Sweetheart advised. "I think she's going to snap your head off the next time you do something nice for her."

He sighed. "Sorry . . . I'm not good with this," he murmured. "I don't know how to raise kits. That thought makes me nervous." And the thought of how everything could go wrong. Sometimes, queens would have stillborn kits, or would die kitting, and those were some of the worse possible fears that haunted Icestar besides for his fear of Dewstar ever since Silverleaf told him that she was expecting.

"You're good with kits, last time I checked," Sweetheart purred. "I'm sure the both of you will do fine. Now let me get those moss and feathers to your nest."

Sweetheart was making her way toward her den by the time Icestar was about to object. He just decided to let her do it.

He trudged through the snow and crept into the warrior's den, prodding Ashtail awake.

"Good morning," murmured the sleepy deputy.

"Ashtail, get up," Icestar whispered. "We have to start waking everyone. It's time to set up patrols."

"Patrols," Ashtail repeated groggily. "Oh right, patrols." His eyes blinked open, and he met Icestar's eyes. "Is it snowing?"

"Go see for yourself," Icestar said, stepping out of the way so Ashtail could make his way out of the warrior's den. As soon as the deputy went outside, his eyes widened.

"I didn't expect snow so early in the season!" he gasped.

"I thought the same thing," Mousetail piped up from behind. "But don't worry. I hear that when we have cold leaf-bares, we will experience warm new-leafs."

Icestar dipped his head to the elder in respect. "Good morning, Mousetail."

"Morning, Icestar," Mousetail replied. "How is Silverleaf coming along?"