Chapter Fifty Four

Edited ✔️

When Icestar returned to camp with the rest of the patrol following, his paws felt like they were falling off. All day, Icestar, Shadowheart and Dawnstripe worked to cover up the putrid stench of the new DarkClan scent marker, and Ashtail and his group of cats had to remark a whole new MoonClan border. Icestar had never much enjoyed marking borders—it was always a lot of work, but today drew the line.

The patrol dispersed into the clearing where everyone shared tongues. Redsky, who had managed to catch a vole while patrolling the perimeter, dropped her fresh-kill on the prey pile, and went to go join her daughters as they spoke together by the warriors den.

Icestar went off to his own den, assuming that Silverleaf went to sleep in the nursery. His den was fresh with her scent, and he felt comforted as he lied down in his nest. For a moment, Icestar shut his eyes, focusing on peace and relaxation. The next moment, Ashtail padded into the leader's den, his expression worried.

"Hi, Icestar," said his deputy.

"Is there something wrong, Ashtail?" asked Icestar. "Everything is okay I presume?"

"Everything is doing just fine. It's just I was wondering about something," he went on, sitting right in front of Icestar's nest. "What was Dewstar whispering to you before he left? Where were you the night before, and why were you gone so long?"

Icestar stared up with surprise. "Ashtail . . ."

"I convinced myself that you haven't discussed it with me yet because you didn't want our Clanmates to worry, but you didn't even cast a small glance at me indicating that you wanted to talk." Ashtail looked a little hurt. "If something bad is going on, I should know it, right? I'm your deputy, after all."

Icestar gave a small nod. "You're right," he murmured. He felt a little bad for not giving much consideration into speaking to Ashtail.

"Will you tell me anything that happened?" Ashtail asked.

Icestar nodded again. "I will now that you bring it up." He gave a deep sigh, and found himself spilling everything to Ashtail about what Dewstar told him. He explained in detail about Dewstar's threat and the decision between battle or giving up. "Dewstar really wants to lead all of the Clans," Icestar finished at last. "It has been his goal ever since he began . . . murdering cats."

Icestar didn't fancy saying 'murder' too much, the memory of it made him feel uncomfortable as he remembered all of Dewstar's last victims, including Vinetail and Sparrowheart. He also remembered the long-ago murder of his mother, Featherbreeze during his first battle as an apprentice.

"That's terrible," gasped Ashtail with wide eyes. "I didn't know how many things were going on! What do you think we should do about the decision, Icestar?"

Icestar looked to his paws. "Oh, I don't know," he murmured. "I could be risking our friends if I decide to battle . . . and who knows what will happen if I let all of you join Dewstar's ranks?"

Ashtail's sighed with concern. "You are right. This decision is a tough one." He paused. "I don't know why, but it seems Dewstar is desperate for power. Why do you think he wants to rule so many cats at once? It's a crazy thing to do if you really put your mind into thinking."

"He wants to follow his fate," Icestar responded.

"Fate?" growled Ashtail. "Fate's got nothing to do with the direction of a cat's life! It's us who chooses the path we take, not anyone else. StarClan just guides us, they don't tell us what to do."

"I don't think StarClan would of wanted Dewstar to reach this level of ambition," Icestar said. "He's deceiving himself."

"We have to talk him out of it, and maybe knock some sense into his head!" Ashtail looked deep into his leader's eyes.