“No I do not know him! What are you implying?” She ranted, her face bright red. I took a few steps backwards, a little scared of her loud voice.

       “Nothing ma’am, he’s my father-in-law to be and I do not know where he is.” I replied.

              “You’re father-in-law would not be down ‘ere!” She retorted.

                     “I am sorry ma’am but he is, and if you are not to help me, I am going to have to walk past you. Good day ma’am.” I spoke before walking around her and continuing my journey down the corridors.

        I wandered around, searching where I could for a good half an hour, before I found a huge room full of people. They were all sat on the tables with their feet on the seats and were chatting happily, making the atmosphere of the place fantastic. Down here, it was loud and everyone was talking to each other like they had known each other for years, when in reality, they had probably only known each other for a just over a day. Thankfully, they were not drinking alcohol or beer at the moment, but considering the time of about half nine, I would be shocked if they were.

       I would love to have seen my mother’s face, if she ever did see this. She would be so shocked and appalled at their feet on seats.

      I stepped further into the room and tapped the closest man to my left on the shoulder. “Hello sir, have you seen this man?” I asked pointing to Edith’s father once again. Hopefully, he is not as ignorant as the woman from earlier.

     “Sir?” he barked. “Never been called that before, now what can I do for your son?”

          “Have you seen this man?” I repeated, pointing to him again.

                He nodded his head. “Course I have, but what will it cost you?” He replied and I sighed before taking two coins out of my pocket. I checked them first, to see a shilling and a two-penny. I placed them into his open palm. “Thanks my lad. He’s in the corner with his two kids.” He spoke, pointing over to the far corner. “It’s an old photo that, I thought you had money?”

       “Like you said, it’s an old photo.” I responded.

           I nodded my head in thanks before manoeuvring my way around the huge amounts of people and tables, before finally finding a man who resembled the man on the photograph. His stern face made me think twice about approaching him, but I did and tapped him on the shoulder.

           He turned around, revealing two little children sat in front of him playing hand games and singing rhymes. “Sir, are you a Mr Gerald Smith?” I asked as he faced me.

             “Who wants to know?” His deep voice boomed intimidating me.

                      “I sir, I am Mr William Cunningham and I am on the ship with your daughter Edith.” I introduced myself, putting my hand out for him to shake, which he did.

          “That is impossible!” He bellowed. “Edith died.” He spoke, his voice lowered.

                      “Sir, I assure you, she is not.”

                              “Of course she is! Lord Darlington and his daughter told me that she had drowned in the river.” He told me. “My wife does not know this either, so do not tell her.”

         “Sir, she is not dead. I have the photograph, it is her’s that you’re wife sent to her while she was a parlour maid at Lord Darlington’s house. She is here now.” I told him a little more forcefully.

                “Are you calling me a liar?”

                         I shook my head. “No sir, but I assure you that Edith is alive and well, your wife is with her now.” I told him. “I can take you if you want.”

         “No, she is dead. Now go away, I do not want to hear your lies. I have been through a tough enough time, I only knew her for a few years and now she is dead. It is hard enough giving my wife fake optimism without having some high class man who thinks he is better than everyone else, coming around and having the guts to tell me that the daughter I lose tragically is alive!” He bellowed, standing up, his fingers in a fist, a proper fist with his thumb over his fingers.

         “I do not want any trouble, sir. If you do feel like you want to believe me, come to Room Ninety-Five.” I told him before turning around and walking back to my room. Why would Lord Darlington and Charlotte go so low that they would tell her parents that the daughter they had been looking for was dead?

         I knocked on the door and stepped inside to see Dr Livingstone gone and Edith sat up in bed with a small smile on her lips. “Are you okay Edith?” I asked, worry in my voice as I rushed to her bedside and placed her hand in my own.

        She nodded her head. “Yes William, I have some news though, and I do not know how you will take it.”