Chapter 51 (part two)

(Important Note in the end!)

Clare's PoV

"What the Fück are you trying to tell me, Daemon?" This question came out louder than I intended to, and Daemon's reaction told me that he didn't expect that either, whilst he jumped a little.

That totally made no sense. I saw a picture him kissing an unknown woman. It wasn't the best angle, but I could see that Daemon kissed her. I'm really not looking forward to listening to his lies now. There's no possibility that he didn't cheat on me. Until now he didn't even deny a single thing.

Daemon gave me a side look, he bit his bottom lip. I had to look away. That sight was a little too much to me.

"Basically, I... wait, let's start like this. I didn't deny anything, because you were furious and I didn't want you to boil even more, so I just waited a little, you know? And I really didn't cheat on you." His voice went quiet.

My teeth were aching, because I had been clenching my jaw since he said that he had never cheated on me.

"What about the picture?" I said through gritted teeth. "Who are you trying to lie to, Daemon?"

Now, he was clenching his jaw and grabbed the steering wheel so furiously that his knuckles turned white. "I have no idea who had taken this picture, but that person wanted you to think that I cheated on you. I whispered something to that girl and she started kissing my neck. I was overwhelmed with that situation, because no one else had given me hickeys. I was confused and I'm sure that this person took a picture of how I yelled at her for doing that, but of course that guy didn't send you those pictures. And the angle wasn't the best, you know?"

I looked at his face and didn't see a hint of a lie. Daemon was dead serious. He didn't lie. What is going on?

First of all, who took the picture of him, second of all, why did I believe Daemon so quickly?
Probably because my heart was hoping that he actually didn't cheat on me. My heart was pounding so fast at the thought-

"What the hell did you whisper to her?"

"That I have a wife waiting for me at home. And that I loved her and that she could stop trying to get in my pants, because nothing would happen if she wasn't my wife." The corners of his lips lifted a little, turning into a tiny smile that only I could notice, obviously.

Looking away, I blushed. That was an uncomfortable feeling, but nothing explained his behavior after our children died.

"Look, if you still need time to recover from this shit that happened the past few days, I'll understand that, but personally, I would more than love to have you beside me, but after all happened in that short time, I can more than just understand if you would want to keep a little distance." He looked at me from the corner of his eyes for a second and then focused on the road again.

"Not just a little. You didn't even apologize properly for your behavior. For how you treated me after our children died. I don't want to keep just a little distance. I want more than that." I said with tears in my eyes. "I hate you for doing that to me."

The fact that he's ignoring his behavior from a few days ago was making me furious and sad. Does he really think I could forgive him that easily? Fûck it. I'll show him. I can do better.

Acting like he doesn't know what he did, won't make the tension between us disappear.

That's when I realized that he isn't a man. A man admits that he messed up, but Daemon clearly tries to avoid that and I won't play along with him. I'll play my own game.

He remained silent. I laughed bitterly and looked out the window and saw that we were in front of my mother's little house. A breath of relief came out.