Smile, You're Beautiful - Jenny02rox

Title: Smile, You’re Beautiful

Author: Jenny01rox

Genre: Short Story/Watty Awards

Summary: You know that girl you called fat? She’s been starving herself for God knows how long. You know that chick you called emo? She’s been battling depression for years. You know that gal you bullied and whenever she would cry you would say “Aww is little Missy going to go cry to her mommy and daddy?” Her parents died a couple years ago and she’s still grieving their death. The tiniest thing can hurt a person beyond words, but it can also shed light to a dark tunnel. This is Missy Vega’s story about loss, hurt, betrayal and hope.

My view:

Okay, so being honest, if I hadn’t seen this summary all over the internet a hundred times before, I would have liked it. But this is just one of those quotes you find everywhere, all the author’s done is twisted it a little and made it own.

But I get the point, it’s a nice point, so I’ll just go on with the writing and the plot.

The short story itself, is beautiful. The point that the author is trying to get across is one that’s so spread out across the world that most choose to ignore it rather than accept it.

Smile, you’re beautiful.

Society these days… it leads us to believe that we should be pretty and skinny, with tanned skin and lot’s of make-up. But this image isn’t real. It’s as fake as the amount of make-up those types of girls slap on.

Now this story here, the reader can so easily associate with and feel close towards the main character. Ignoring the cliché of the whole school being against her and just being utterly alone, the thought of this poor girl going through so much and no one knowing, no one understanding – is something that you and I have to deal with just as much.

Both dark and tantalizing, tugging at the heart strings, the short story starts off with amazing promises of a character that can change and learn from her life.

Happy ending? Sad ending? You’d have to read it to find out. It’s not long, but it is a beautiful story.

Out of ten? Seven.