VIII. First Day of Work

Comincia dall'inizio

"That's all?"

He nods, "Everything about you is quite ordinary from your physical appearance to your skills." Now, that is damaging to my self-esteem, "However, we like the baby."

I stop walking, tilting my head towards him. "You...hire me because you like Marisa?"

He nods, "Cute baby."

"You thought Marisa was a boy."

"A cute baby is a cute baby!"

I exhale a breath before hearing some screams. Turning at a corner, the daycare came to display. "Here we are-" Gianni said, and a woman came up to greet us, "Agatha will help you with all the paperwork in enrolling cute little Marisa." He pinches Marisa's cheek, causing her to giggle.

Gianni hides his hands behind him. "I'll see you around."

I nod, "Thank you for showing me the way Gianni."

Gianni's smile, "We also like your speech," he said, before walking out the brown door.

I stood there, unable to contain the happiness as Agatha introduced me to the daycare center. After filling out some paperwork, I waited with Marisa in my arms for Agatha to finish punching everything in. "May I know why Marisa's last name is different?"

I suck in my cheeks, "Marisa is my fourth adopted brother's daughter, who suicides after his wife passed away with cancer."

Agatha chuckled, "Or you can merely tell me that it's her father's surname."

I ran my tongue across my cheek, "We don't exactly look the same, so I was concerned."

"I'll assume the baby is adopted."

"It's okay if Marisa isn't my child?"

She tucks a hair back, "This is a multi-million dollar company. The last thing everyone is concerned about is taking care of a baby who isn't related to the employee." She began typing, "I'll put Marisa down as your daughter, so you don't need to bring additional paperwork to why Marisa is underneath your custody."

After Agatha finished, I handed Marisa over. "Be good for your fake mommy," I told her.

"I advise you not to go around saying that," Agatha said.

I nod, "Oh, milk and dia-"

"I believe you didn't read the additional paperwork. We provide Diapers, milk, and all essentials."

"I love this place already," I said, kissing Marisa's cheek. "Bye, Marisa. Thank you, Agatha."

Soon, I rushed towards my floor, grateful that I decided to come to work early. I step inside the elevator with a full planting smile. Squeezing a hand on top of the other, my right leg refuses to stop shaking. "Relax, Vivian. Chill. You'll do great on your first day. They hire you for a reason. Chill. Chill."

Once the elevator ding, I took one step at a time, feeling my armpits sweating a waterfall. When I reached the designated room, my smile widened; seeing the workers behind the double glass door - punching in the temporary number they gave me since I don't have a pass, the light turned green. I took a deep breath before reaching the silver handle and opening it.

"You call yourself a designer!" that voice, "Even my fucking cat can paw down something better than this!"

I froze at the door, eyes staring forward at the scenery in front of me. Becca threw the folder across the room, causing the paper to scatter all over the pattern tiles.

"Get out!"

"Ms.Bak-"

"Get out of my office!"

Immediately, the employee ran out.

Her eyes pinned me. "Violet!"

Is she calling me?

"Get me a triple, venti, half sweet, non-fat, caramel macchiato," she orders. Do I look like a barista?

I took a few blinks, and she looks back down at her papers. Someone tugs my shirt. "What are you doing? Why are you standing there? Go get Mrs.Baker the coffee."

"I'm sorry, but I'm the new intern, and I don-"

She gasps, "You're the new intern?" I nod. "Oh, may God bless you."

"Vinh! Where is my coffee!"

"I'm going to make this quick," the girl said, pushing up her glasses. "Your desk is over there, right in front of Ms.Baker's office. The desk has everything you need, from a laptop to pens. There is also a phone to use for work. The copy machine is down the hall, and you need a pass to enter." She ran towards a room while I was still stunned by the situation. "I don't have time to make you a pass now, so here is one from the last intern. If you stay here for over a week, I'll make you an official one."

"Umm, okay?"

"Ms.Baker's favorite coffee shop is in the lobby, and the number is on speed dial one on the phone. Call them before you go down there and tell them you're Ms.Baker intern. Always bring in a cup of water. Also, even if your title is intern, you might as well tell everyone you're her assistant."

"Wait...What?"

"Valentina! I'm getting thirsty!"

"Godspeed," she said, walking off.

Oh Lord, what have I gotten myself into?