VIII. First Day of Work

Start from the beginning

"Well, it's nice to know that you think I'm nice but also not so nice." I froze at that voice. Steadily, a body appears from behind the desk with a folder and grin. "What's going on, Miss Blanc-" no longer Vivian, "why do you look like you've seen a ghost?"

Cheryl sighs, pressing her fingers against her forehead before she slaps Gianni's arm. "Stop being mean to her, Gianni. She's nervous enough."

He rubs his arm, "How dare you hit your boss! Plus, I didn't even mess with - oddio, are you crying?"

Placing a hand on my cheek, there was a strand of tear lurking down. "Oh my gosh, I'm crying."

Cheryl hit Gianni again. "See what you did! You made her cry!" She turns towards me and pulls out a tissue. "Calm down, sweetheart. You'll be okay."

I grab it, dabbing it against the edge of my eyes to ensure the makeup won't smear. When I realize there was a stingy sensation, I notice it's because one of my lashes got into my eyes. "Oh, I'm fine. My lashes-"

Cheryl cut me off, "Gianni, why are you standing there? Help Vivian find the daycare center! It's obvious she is lost!"

"Cher, aren't you afraid I'm going to fire you?"

She rolls her eyes, "Good luck finding another gal who will keep all those crazy ex and fangirls away."

Gianni grin, "You're my favorite receptionist. You know that?"

Cheryl waved us away, "Leave. Leave. I got work to do."

Gianni walks towards me, "Let us not disturb the best receptionist in the world." He winks at Cheryl, who grants him another eye roll, "Come on."

I walk behind Gianni, quiet as a mouse. People would often face him and bow down with respect, which he returns.

"If you were lost earlier-" he presses the elevator button, "why didn't you tell me?"

I bit the edge of my tongue. "Well...I...umm."

Gianni exhales, "All because I'm in a higher position with more power, much more attractive, and makes more money than you doesn't mean I'm not like you common folks."

I turn my head, "What?" Did he call me common?

"We-" he points his finger at me than him "are-" He places two hands in the air and level it, "the same."

"Except you're more attractive, wealthier, and much more powerful than me?"

He pats my back, "You're going to fit in just fine here." Gianni nodded. The elevator ding, and he stepped out. "Coming equivalent co-worker?"

I quickly nod and walk after him with the stroller in my hands. "Mr. Galilei," they would respectfully greet him before he dismisses them with a nod.

"Umm, Mr.Galilei," I said quietly, hearing the wheels squeaking in the silent hallway.

"Gianni."

"Pardon?"

"You may call me Gianni."

I scratch my head, wondering if I should accept his proposal. "I think I'll stick to Mr.Gal-"

"I'm the man who takes part in signing your weekly paycheck."

"Understood, Gianni." He nods and presents me with a wide grin. I continue following him, peeking ever so slightly. "Can I ask you something, Gianni?"

"Yes?"

"Why did you guys give me this internship?"

He ran his hand across his jawline before puckering his lip. "You left an impression on us."