"I've been thinking Li," I said, twirling my thumbs around one another. "I...I think I'm going to go back to South America if this doesn't work out."

She seems momentarily stunned at my comment. Previously, she urged me to call my mom and dad to tell them about my situation. After my shameful night drunk in the streets, she finally stopped. That night, I cried in her arms, begging her not to kick me out even though she had no intentions. I didn't want to go home and disappoint my parents.

"Viv, you can stay here as long-"

I shook my head, causing her to stop speaking. I tuck a strand of curls behind my ear. "I've taken enough of your kindness Li. I should know where to draw the line and understand when I'm taking advantage of a friend's support."

"Oh, Viv." She huffed out a breath, before embracing me tightly, "Your parents will understand, trust me. They're good people."

"I know they're good; that's why it hurts even more to disappoint them." I took a sniff through my somehow clogged nostrils. "They raised me to be a refined lady and look at me now, Li."

No job. No husband. No place to call my own. I got nothing except my stupid pride, but having pride doesn't put food on the table or help the toilet flush properly.

"You held yourself together for a whole year without your family or that asshole of an ex-husband support."

"Only to put my weight onto my best friend."

She pushes me back gently, then brushes off the stringing water from my cheeks. "I'm your bestie for a reason. Here through thick and thin."

I smile, "Can you marry me?"

Amoli pressed her fingers onto her chest. "Is this a proposal I hear, Miss Blanc?"

"Depends. Are you going to say yes?"

"Under one condition."

"And that is?"

"You get the job, and...you let me cook for a month...alone."

I snorted, "Don't you mean; I should cook for a month?"

"No. You always cook. I want to-"

"The first one, I'll try my best. However, you may not cook alone."

"Why not?"

"You burnt curry last week! You might as well get that five dollars bill from underneath my pillow and burn that too."

"Why do you have a five dollars bill underneath your bed?"

"For emergencies."

"What in the Goddamn world can you purchase with five dollars?"

We continue talking about the most random things until Amoli sprints towards the bedroom to steal my five dollars. I had to fight her off with a plastic bat. "My five dollars!"

The week flashed in an instant, and it was my interview day. I stood near the door. "I can do this."

"You can do this," Amoli chants back at me.

"I can do this!" I screamed.

"You can do it!" she shrieks back.

I screamed from the top of my lungs, and Amoli did the same time. We both stood there with our hands clutch into a fist, back-arching, heads full swing in the air and shrieking.

"Shut the fuck up!" Again, our wonderful upstairs neighbor decides to greet us with the edge of his broomstick.

"Good morning to you, too, Mr.Orien." Amoli grabs our broom and bangs it against the ceiling, something our landlord does not appreciate.