01/15/20 | 범규

JANUARY 15 YEAR 20

I hated going to the station.

I had forgotten my keys at home so I had to wait for my parents at the station to go home with them.

"Hey, chestnut~" my mom greeted me as soon as she entered her office in where I was waiting. "Dad's coming in a bit, want something to eat?" I nodded and asked for a donut. She nodded before placing some papers on her desk and leaving her office.

I looked at the papers, they were autopsy results from an incident all the way back in August 14, 2019. Half a year ago. I didn't intend to but I was suddenly looking through them. There were three reports, two with the ages of 43 and 44 (man and woman) then one with 14. All three died at August 14, 2019. A very familiar date.

I checked their names and races. Their last names are all Jung and their races are quite mixed but they're a family.

Then I checked the causes of their deaths and the autopsy findings. The father was murdered and had a brain damage. The mother was murdered with damaged internal organs, stomach, abused genitals and bruises on her body. The girl had first degree murder, a damaged throat and broken radius and ulna (the forearm bones).

I was disturbed even just by reading them. But there was really something off so I asked my mom when she came back with donuts for her and me.

"They were already dead when their house exploded. We saw some of the corpses' remaints and took them to autopsy.
It was a tragic day, only their son survived because he was in school. He was in shock, literally.

We took him for questioning and he said that he actually got a call from his mom before the explosion. She told him to come home but he got distracted by this girl who took him to the pet shop instead. Then he was called that there was an explosion."

I couldn't believe what she said. The story sounded oddly.... very very familiar.

It was like hearing something you didn't really payed attention to once again.

"Just think of it, if that girl didn't distract him, he would've died too."

That very sentence shot me. Then the story connected.

Kai's family didn't die of the explosion, they were murdered.

But, why wouldn't they tell him about it?

"He couldn't be more bothered. We thought it was better off for him to believe they died by an accident. We're still investigating the case."

That day Shihye kissed Kai, was the day she saved him.

BEOMGYU, 20:41