08/17/19 | 태현

AUGUST 17 YEAR 19

It has been three days ever since Kai knocked on my doorstep. It was the second time I saw that expression on his face. He had a devastated look. His eyes were red and his cheeks were stained with dry tears.

"What happened?" I asked him. It took him seconds to do so, but he suddenly broke down and cried. I pulled him inside then to a hug and he started to tell me everything.

He was at a pet shop when he was called by his neighbour that a natural gas leaked and exploded in his house. His parents and sister were home. The nearby houses were also exploded but no one else was injured because they were all at work. The police has found his family's corpses and wanted to run an autopsy for some reason. Kai was stunned to even deny.

I let him cry on my shoulder for two hours straight with occasional caresses on his back. He needs it and I felt so so bad for him. My mom offered him dinner but he didn't wanna eat so I took him to the guest room for some rest.

He has locked himself in there for three days ever since. I would come in to ask if he wanted food but he'll be laying on the bed, blanket over his head and murmuring a low 'no'. I didn't push him. I know Kai, he'll eat when he needs to and he'll eventually get over this.

This morning, he had come to my bedroom to happily wake me up and greet me 'Good morning'. He was smiling from ear to ear and suggested that we should go out to the mall efter breakfast and shop since his things are now gone. I know that he's just masking it and trying to be positive but I didn't question it and agreed.

We bought new clothes and things for him - most of them came from my mom and dad who had treated him like my brother. They said that he can stay with us from now on. I of course agreed with them and so did Kai.

There was just one thing that I wished for Kai to know. That we're all here for him and he doesn't have to be afraid to cry because no matter what,

I will be there.

I still can't believe his parents died on his birthday.

ㅡ TAEHYUN, 23:12