Chapter 24-Summer Job?!

Start from the beginning

"You know you guys can get a job, right?" I prompted, hoping the spoilt, filthy rich brats in them wouldn't arise.

"What do you think the kids are gonna say, huh? Theodore Hillocks, on a summer job instead of partying like a mad animal?" Theodore gets up, folding his arms and trying to look intimidating.

"And how do you think all those cheerleaders are going to say about me? The redhead not only treats us dumb, but also works because she's not even rich enough to compare houses with?" Poppy gets up as well, frowning at me.

And here, ladies and gentlemen, rich kid problems and their over-excessive pride over family riches. Doesn't apply to all, but doesn't mean the nice ones don't show it.

"Suck up your pride, it wouldn't hurt to go work at an ice cream parlour or maybe at some surf shop." I tried convincing them once more. If they keep living on me, I'm going to go bankrupt if Mr and Mrs Hillocks aren't convinced to give them back their bank accounts. Not when they keep whining.

"Surf shop? That's like working for ourselves! Every single cent from the surf shop goes directly to our accounts if we work there! To our no access bank accounts!" Poppy throws another cushion at Theodore, and he catches it effortlessly.

"And an ice cream parlour? All the kids in school will have a field day if they see me. And it's summer! All of them would be there! My reputation is on the line!" Theodore looks at me with a weird expression. Was he trying the puppy dog look on me?

I turn to Poppy. "What's your retarded chicken of a brother doing?" and she laughs. Theodore pouts, but it's obviously not going to work either. Laughter fills the room. The more the mood lightens, the easier it'll be to get them to agree. And I'll shove them past the denial stage if they deny anything.

"Oh come on! Why don't we try jobs and then find the one you guys like more?" I whined. The lightening of moods didn't help. They ended up worser than kindergarten kids, and I had to get them serious again.

"You're coming with us?" Theodore says, his head jolting up all of a sudden. I shook my head. I'm not the one in the sticky mess, I'm just a consultant.

"She said 'we' Theo! Tell me you heard it! Please you did, right?" Poppy jumps like a little kid, pointing at me as her brother nods along in agreement.

Oh no. What did I get into? Why does this period of my summer life have to end up like this? I wasn't part of their screwed-up time. But a friend has got to help their friends in need, so I agreed. Deep down, there still lies a pang of sadness. Here goes the remaining time of my summer...

"Oh my gosh! Look at that tan! And those killer abs are making me swoon!" Poppy gushes over all the hot guys she can spot from the windows of the beachside shop. The air-condition was kept at twenty-five degrees Celsius, since the electricity was expensive, and the owner didn't want customers coming in for the cooling air.

We were working at one of the local beachside shops that was not owned by the Hillocks. This shop sold every beach-required item from sunblock to swimsuits, and even things to cater to people's showering needs.

Despite being indoors in a cooler weather, Poppy and I wore a bikini top with short shorts. The weather was extremely hot. Theodore was outside parading in his swimming trunks, showing off his toned upper body and attracting customers. If not for Theodore, the only people who would come were those families having picnics outside to browse so as to get some of the cool air coming out of the air-conditioner.

"What do you think you're doing, Pop?" Theo walks back with more customers. For his hard work, he did deserve the cool air of the inside. "Ogling over guys when David's away."