MAY 2001 - LEX

"Was I supposed to turn there? Lex? Leeeexxxx?!"

"Oh, sorry Cass...uhh..." I looked at the MapQuest directions we had printed out. "Turn left."

"Where?" Cassie asked.

"Ummm..." I turned around in the beige leather seat of her cherry red convertible and lowered my sunglasses. "Back there," I pointed to the street we had just passed.

"Ugh! Lex! You're supposed to be my navigator!" Cassie grunted as she prepared to make a U-turn. It was my fourth day in L.A. with her. We'd seen at least 20 houses and were on our way to the 21st. I was burnt out but at least the house hunting had kept me distracted. But knowing I'd be on a plane back to Detroit in 18 hours was making me think more and more about Marshall and that night...and the morning after.

"I'm sorry, I'm just...."

"Thinking about Em," Cassie answered for me.

"Noo," I tried to deny. Cassie shot me a disbelieving glance.

"Please," she shook her head. "You're a horrible liar. Always have been. It's not in your nature to lie, so don't."

"Fine. Yes, I'm thinking about him. But not like that. I just...I hate the way we left things. Well, I guess I should say...the way I left things."

"So you had a dramatic moment. You were overdue for one. He's gonna forgive you anyway, so why are you trippin'?" she asked as she adjusted her stylish Aviators.

"Just...the look on his face when I all but kicked him out the next morning...It almost killed me Cass. But, what was I supposed to do? Tell him I went through his phone like some psycho-stalker obsessed girlfriend? He'd hate me forever."

"How many times do I have to tell you girl? That man could never hate you. But he will be mighty disappointed if he finds out on his own that you went through his phone." She paused. "You're gonna have to tell him."

I sighed and nodded my head. "I know...Turn right here," I instructed. She pulled into a cute townhouse development, parked, and we walked up to what would end up being her very own first home.

------

A couple weeks later, our schedules finally aligned and I pulled up to the gate of Marshall's new Clinton Township home that he had bought the previous September

A couple weeks later, our schedules finally aligned and I pulled up to the gate of Marshall's new Clinton Township home that he had bought the previous September. I entered the code he had given me and pulled into the long driveway. It was my first time at this house. It was beautiful. The yard looked professionally landscaped while the driveway was paved in brick with a fountain as its centerpiece. I parked and sat there for a moment, allowing myself to get choked up over the scenario. My best friend had spent years bouncing around from his mom's house in Roseville to a trailer park in Warren to the sketchiest of areas on the East side of Detroit where he was constantly getting robbed to Kim's mom's attic back in Warren and then back to his mom's trailer.... And now, he owned a big, beautiful house in one of the wealthiest areas in the Detroit suburbs. I was overwhelmed with pride and admiration for him...and felt even worse for the way I'd behaved the last time I saw him.