SEPTEMBER 1998 - EM & LEX

*Both points of view will be expressed in this chapter. Em will be in italics; Lex in regular font*

Her room smelled like her. And it was clean. Unlike mine and Proof's which had liquor bottles and beer bottles and soda bottles, ashtrays and herb and clothes and shoes and shit strewn all over it. One of the bedside lamps had been left on, as well as the radio. It was a little after midnight, so a Slow Jams segment was on. The sensual beat of Knockin Da Boots by H-Town filled the background as Lex kicked off her shoes and threw her gum out. 

 I unassumingly sat in one of the chairs at the table in the room after hanging my jacket on the back of it. She reached into the mini-fridge and pulled out a personal bottle of Bacardi. She took a swig before handing it to me. The cold drink immediately warmed me up, stoking the fire deep inside me that she had already started at the club.

She leaned back against the propped up pillows on her bed and stretched her legs out, crossing her ankles. "Why are you so far away?" she chuckled. I smiled as I licked my lips and laid down on my stomach next to her. This was how we used to lay on her bed when we'd listen to new music together. But this was a totally different vibe. I actually felt...nervous.

I sighed and put my hands behind my head, closing my eyes as I started to feel the next wave of X hit me. "I feel great," I said out loud but in a low voice. "I see what you meant about that shit comin' in waves. Not too fucked up but still got a nice buzz, y'know? And I haven't drank in a minute; I feel like my tolerance is probably low as shit," I continued.

"I'm wit you," Em replied, looking straight at me. "I'm feelin' pretty nice myself."

"Yeah?" I asked, turning my gaze towards him. He nodded, leaning on his forearms for support and folding his hands together. I studied his face that I used to be able to read so well; the lid of his cap and his glasses hid his eyes. 

My left hand reached for the simple, silver chain around his neck and stroked it gently, grazing his soft neck that was dotted with just a few little freckles. "I like this," I admired. "Where'd you get it?"

"Proof," he replied, licking his luscious lips. "Got it for me right after I got signed." 

I nodded and smiled. "He's a good friend," I murmured.

"That he is," Em agreed.

I couldn't take my eyes off his lips, even though I knew he could see me staring at them. I wanted them on my body so badly, but I didn't want to rush into anything. I distracted myself by reaching up to his right earlobe, farthest from me, and touched his small silver hoop between my thumb and forefinger. 

"How bad did Debbie freak when she saw these?" I asked, lightly chuckling thinking about how his mom used to always say how much she hated body piercings.

"Haha," he chuckled back. "Pretty bad. But not as bad as when she saw my new tats." I smiled as I lightly breathed out a laugh. 

I reached down to the arm closest to me and traced the intricate design of the tribal bracelet tattoo on his wrist with my pointer finger, slowly moving to his bracelet on the same wrist. "We're matching," I noted, flashing my bracelet on my opposite arm.

"I saw that," he half-smiled. "I'm glad you still wear it." I got a flash of his eyes as he looked up at me with those sexy baby blues that I just wanted to swim in.