NOVEMBER 1997 - KIM (Part 1)

"We really goin' to this bitch's house for Thanksgiving Kim? Let's just all go out to eat somewhere. Shit, I'd rather eat out the dumpster at Gilbert's before breaking bread with this ho." 

My sister Dawn loved to talk shit about people, and lately she loved to talk shit about Lex. I didn't really understand what she had against her at that point. She had never done anything wrong to me. She seemed nice enough. But ever since DeShaun and Marshall's joint birthday celebration the month before, she seemed to develop a hatred for her. My sister had been bisexual for several years and she usually started hating on a girl when she hit on them and was rejected. I was pretty sure she'd have told me if that was the case, and I never actually saw that happen at the party, but I didn't know what else to think. What other reason could she have for all the shit-talking? And what was I gonna do? Let my sister be alone on Thanksgiving?

I knew Marshall really wanted to see Hailie; I had finally agreed to let him see her for dinner. It was Thanksgiving after all. And he was her father. I had been hesitant to let him see her much before that because I hated that she would see him for a few days here and there and then he'd be gone for a straight week either recording at the studio or working double shifts at the restaurant or doing God knows what. It was too confusing for her. And at almost 2 years old, she was getting old enough to start wondering why her dad was constantly in and out of her life. Of course Marshall didn't see it that way. He felt like he was doing her and me all the favors in the world by pursuing this music industry life. I, on the other hand, wasn't so convinced.

"Yes girl, and don't embarrass me...please. I already feel way out of place in this neighborhood," I mumbled, looking around at all the single family houses that were small but well-kept. A completely different world from the trailer park we were staying at with my mom and way more upscale than the house Marshall and I shared on Dresden on the East side of the city. I pushed Hailie's stroller a little faster as the stabbing Detroit wind pierced through my body. Dawn kept up with Alaina and her stroller. We'd had to park all the way down the street cuz there were cars parked everywhere, probably for the holiday.

"Don't worry, I'll be good," Dawn said in a sing-songy voice. I shook my head. My only saving grace would be if they didn't serve any alcohol tonight. A drop of liquor in my sister's body would unleash an unpredictable fighter with a mouth like a sailor.

We were greeted at the door by Marshall who immediately swept Hailie up into his arms. I did love seeing him with her....when he was actually around. He loved our little girl more than life itself. I was almost jealous. I wished he loved me like that; then maybe we wouldn't fight so much.

Dawn and I folded up the strollers and left them on the front porch

Dawn and I folded up the strollers and left them on the front porch. Inside, it was warm and cozy. The house itself was small, just like the others we had passed on the way. But it was cute. Nicely decorated with things that matched. They had put up fall and Thanksgiving decorations. A fire roared in the fireplace while football played on the TV in the living room. A beautifully set dining room table with mismatched chairs around it sat directly across from the foyer. DeShaun and his girlfriend Sharonda, who I'd met once, got up from the couch to say hello.