APRIL 2001 - LEX (Part 2)

"Tell Marshall thank you a million times for me Lex. This is truly such a generous gift," my mom cried as she hugged me tightly for the hundredth time that night.

"I'll tell him. Now go...before you miss your flight! I love you."

"I love you too. And honey...I hope you meant what you said about second chances at perfect love," she whispered as she pulled away and nodded in Em's direction. I glanced over my shoulder at him as he waved.

"I did mean it...but don't get any ideas," I smiled. "Now go! Enjoy your honeymoon. Call me when you get there, even if it's the middle of the night."

I hugged her one more time before pushing her lightly towards Mark's waiting arms. They climbed into their limo, sticking their hands out of the sunroof to wave goodbye to their guests who had all crowded around outside to wish them off. They were headed to Hawaii, the flight and all-inclusive resort a generous wedding present from Marshall. I had to admit, I'd been shocked when she told me he'd given her the gift around Christmastime. He didn't want anyone to know it was from him, not even me. Not until after the wedding. So she had waited to tell me until the day before, keeping their honeymoon destination a secret from me this entire time. 

    I looked back at Em, hands shoved in his pockets and a content little grin on his face as he watched them drive off. I walked up to him, unsure of how to thank him for such an incredible gesture. We stood face to face, and all I could do was smile.

"What?" he chuckled awkwardly.

I could only shake my head before throwing my arms around his neck. "I'm so glad you're here," I whispered as a tear ran down my cheek. I felt his arms tighten around me and melted in the warmth and safety I felt from them. We stood there holding each other as the rest of the guests filed back inside to finish out the remainder of the party.

    "Lex! Cha Cha Slide!!" Cassie and Sharonda shouted at me excitedly from the door.

I pulled back from Em and smiled. "Time to dance off all the calories I've consumed tonight. Come on!" I grabbed his hand and pulled him behind me.

"That's all you girl," he laughed. "I'ma grab a drink though. Want one?"

I nodded as I joined the large group on the dance floor. Em smiled and shook his head, meeting up with Proof and Royce at the bar. After The Cha Cha Slide, we crooned to some Whitney, lost it with a little Love Shack, and I even took a spin with the best man to Dancing in the Moonlight, aware of Marshall's eyes intermittently fixed on me while he chatted with Proof and Royce.

Finally a song came on that we weren't that crazy about so the girls and I all kicked back a drink with the guys before taking a much needed touch-up break in the bathroom.

"Guys...I want a wedding just like this! What you think I gotta do to make DeShaun pop the question?" Sharonda asked.

"Girl you already got his baby, just pick out a ring and tell him it's time," Cassie instructed.

"How bout you and Ryan? Y'all two been booed up all night!" Sharonda laughed.

"What about us? I know you not talkin' about no marriage! Girl, we've only been official for like 6 months...get outta here!" Cassie sucked her teeth as she reapplied her eyeliner.

"Has he said the 'L' word yet?" Sharonda asked.

"Of course he has! He knows he hit the jackpot with all this," she joked, rubbing her hands down the sides of her tight dress. I chuckled to myself as I rubbed on a little lip gloss.

"Lex, we gotta get you a man so you can exploit his ass in the bathroom with us," Sharonda said, passing some gum around. I took a piece before attempting to fix my hair that was getting flatter by the minute.