JANUARY 1997 - EM (Part 1)

"If you don't wanna be here, you ain't gotta be here Kim. Simple as that," I explained to my baby's mother. She hadn't made it to the show cuz our baby girl, Hailie, wouldn't stop crying and Kim didn't wanna leave her like that with the babysitter. So Kim stayed with her til she fell asleep and then left her with the sitter so she could meet up with us at Proof's. She and I had been somewhat okay for a couple months but really that was all cuz of Hailie, my pride and joy. Just her presence made me bite my tongue on a lot of shit I would wanna say to Kim at any given time. But instead of bottlin' that shit up, I'd put it on paper. Or vent to Lex, who had become my best homey over the last year and some change. Proof was still my boy, don't get me wrong. But there was just something about Lex that made me feel....different. But only when I was physically with her. Cuz the minute I left her side, it was like I felt empty, and shit would just crumble around me. Like right now. Kim was giving me shit for wanting to celebrate with everyone after the show. She had wanted just the two of us to go out to celebrate. She had no idea how big this was. My first show promoting the new album...it was a big deal. And my boys all had somethin' to do with it, so why wouldn't I celebrate with them? She still wasn't on board with the whole idea of me trying to get a career in rap, but at this point I think she knew there was no turning back.

"So you're gonna get up with Hailie in the morning then, right? Cuz I've been with her all day, was up with her all night last night. You haven't been home in what feels like days. I'm fucking tired and want a break!" she complained. This bitch had no clue how hard I was working to try to make a better life for her and my daughter.

"Yes, I'll get up with Hailie. I have no problem takin' care of my daughter," I turned to walk into Proof's house.

"Don't flip that shit on me!" she pulled me back. "I've been taking care of her while you've been partying it up with your friends nonstop!" And there it was. That 'somewhat okay' phase was about to end.

"Partying?! The fuck are you talkin' about?! I been workin' my ass off to get where I'm at and still got work to do. You gon' ride my ass forever?! Or you just want us to be broke and miserable the rest of our lives?" I yelled. My fists were balled up at my sides, but I would never hit her. Even though I often wanted to. But hitting a female was something I don't think I could ever live with.

She shook her head and crossed her arms. "I'm getting fucked up then," she mumbled and went inside ahead of me. I took a deep breath and followed her.

I watched Lex closely as she sat on the couch across from me in between Cassandra and Bugz. She was laughing with them about something. I couldn't hear what cuz Ice Cream by Raekwon was jammin' in the background. She was expertly rollin' a blunt like it was nothin'. I had watched her roll countless blunts before. Shit, she rolled them better than anyone in our group. I watched her use her fingers, lips, and tongue to seal it shut and licked my own lips remembering how soft her kiss had been that night that felt like so long ago... I smiled thinking about how only a couple hours ago she had been rapping along with every single song I performed. She was such a down ass chick. She not only knew the lyrics to my songs but she understood them. More than a few times I had her read some shit I was writing and she helped me expand, elaborate, or clarify on what I was trying to say. She also knew almost as many words as I did cuz she loved to read. She was always reading some shit, so her vocabulary was on point. So if I got stuck on a word, chances were she knew what it was or she'd help me figure it out.