APRIL 1995 - EM (Part 4)

Getting off the bus, I looked around at my surroundings. I hadn't ever really spent any significant time in Ferndale. I knew about it cuz of 54 Sound, a major recording studio there that I dreamed of spittin rhymes in one day. It was probably around a 20 minute drive from my house in Warren and maybe another 15-20 minute drive into the city. It wasn't fancy by any means. It seemed like a typical blue-collar neighborhood. But it wasn't as jacked up as my hood. Most of the lawns were cut, almost everyone had a porch light on, there were trees along the sidewalks. I stopped when I got to 261. Her house was one of the nicer ones on the street. Navy blue siding with white shutters and a white door. Porch light and a porch swing. Flowers, trimmed bushes, cut lawn. Nothing like the houses I had grown up in. This girl and I probably had nothing in common. But I still wanted to check it out.

I walked up the three steps to her porch and rang the bell.

"Hey," she smiled as she opened the door. Jesus Christ, she was even prettier than I remembered. I snuck a quick peek at her flat stomach and perfect cleavage. But she wasn't dressed provocatively or anything. Just chill.

"'Sup," I replied with a nod.

"I'm glad you made it. Come in." She held open the door for me. The smell of cookies and candles was one of the most welcoming smells I had ever smelled. Her house was small but nice. I walked in awkwardly, not really sure if I belonged there. She closed and locked the door behind me.

"Have a seat," she gestured to the couch. "I'm making cookies, they should be done in like..." Just then the oven timer went off and she clicked her tongue and winked at me while pointing a shooting finger at me. I chuckled a little thinking, This girl is a trip. As she went to pull them out of the oven, I looked around the small living room. Nice things. Matching couches, rugs on the wood floor, lots of green plants, curtains at the windows, framed art and family pictures on the walls. Only pictures of her and who I guessed was her mom. No siblings? No father? I could hear one of my favorite artists on her boombox. Tupac. This girl definitely had good taste in music. On the TV, one of my favorite movies played. Maybe we have more in common than I thought....

"Want me to warm you up a plate of spaghetti and meatballs? I made tons," she said, sticking her head out the kitchen.

"Uh, yes please, thank you," I answered.

"Anything to drink? We got Coke, Sprite, water, juice..."

"Uh, Coke please," I said as I took my Detroit Lions starter jacket off. I noticed what looked to be homework on the coffee table. I twisted my head to try to see what kind of homework. Something about acid-base balance in the renal system. That shit sounded like a foreign language. She must be in college...

A minute later she came out with a plate of food, a napkin, and a cold can of Coke. "You sure it's cool if I eat out here? I don't mind sittin' at the table," I nervously took the plate, not wanting to spill anything all over their nice shit.

"It's cool. I eat out here all the time," she said, sitting down next to me. "By the way, love your jacket," she smiled.

"Oh, thanks," I mumbled, thinking she was just making small talk like a typical girl.

"With Moore and Perriman breakin' records and shit, I was sure they'd murder the Eagles in that wild card round. I was so fucking crushed when they lost," she continued, taking a sip of her water. She was talking about the playoffs that had happened last fall. I was kind of shocked and impressed that she knew her football like that and, as an avid fan, was about to jump in with a response when the phone rang.