DECEMBER 1998 - LEX (Part 1)

"Wow, I can't believe your mom got it!" I exclaimed as Cassie showed off her fancy birthday gift. Her mom had gotten her a karaoke machine, something she'd been asking for since high school.

"Right?! Finally! It's used but it's in really good shape and came with some decent music," she said, sifting through several cassette tapes.

She was home for winter break and we had spent the day ice skating, eating out, and getting mani/pedis before doing some Christmas shopping at the mall. I told her everything about Marshall, even though she had known about some of it from our sporadic phone conversations, and caught her up on what was going on with his album release. She was ecstatic that we had finally made things official and had congratulated him when I had called him from her house after our busy day. Her mom and dad were at a Christmas party that night so we cracked open the first of two bottles of Grey Goose I had asked Em to get for us a few days before. He had tried to keep me from paying him back, but I had snuck the money into his wallet when he wasn't looking. Cassie and I felt extra fancy mixing the award-winning vodka with cranberry juice and lime and figured it was the perfect Christmas-y beverage to accompany us for her birthday slumber party that night. She decided to keep it low-key and only invited a couple girls from our old high school dance team.

By 9pm that night, we were chillin' in our comfy PJs with our friends Tanya and Ana. I sported a pair of Pistons pajama pants and a tight white tee with capped sleeves that showed off my midriff. My hair was down and straight and I had decided to forego the makeup for the night. We had food laid out for days on the coffee table and each of us sported a boa and a pair of sunglasses for an extra bit of sassy fun. A ton of chitchat, a blunt, and a few drinks in and we were ready to hook up the karaoke machine.

"Oooh, let's do this Divas one!" Tanya exclaimed, holding up a cassette tape she had found in the pile. She read off the back of the tape. "They got Whitney, Madonna, Tina, Paula...Oh! Remember that routine we did to Straight Up back in freshman year?!! That was so dope!" A slew of comments came from us all as we reminisced about our first of many 1st-place trophies for our dance team and attempted to remember the dance steps we had perfected to that song five years ago. Rounds of laughter ensued and I realized how much I had missed hanging with my girls.