Clem smiled while looking at the now half full milkshake, diverting the topic of conversation. "Ya know, I never thought I would get to go on a date, like ever."

Louis couldn't believe what she was saying. "Really? Have you met you? End of the world or not, someone would've at least tried to sweep you off your feet."

Growing pink, she retorted "Alright, alright."

Louis

Today was the day that exam results get released. All exams are finished, at it's nearly summer. The summer before everyone went to college unless they made other plans.
This day would determine people's future and what college they could get accepted into.
For Louis, college wasn't his first thought. His thoughts were on prom and summer plans. He knew he wanted to spend the three month summer with his best friends and girlfriend, perhaps travelling.

The group of teens were sat around in the local American-style diner, with their hidden results in hand. Clem was ordering at the cashier, while everyone began to open their envelopes. She was too scared to open her own results and decided order some drinks instead, knowing it could make or break her dreams of going to college.

Violet and Marlon could not stop themselves for much longer, and wanted to look at their results as soon as possible. Marlon had got majority C's, but an A in sport which is what he wanted to study. His plan wasn't to move away though, it was his family business that provided sport groups for kids.
Violet received a range of grades. In the core subjects, maths and English she had gotten B's. In her weaker subjects such as geography and science, she had got a C.

Holding the dreaded brown envelope in his hand, Louis knew that his future was depending on it - regardless of his plans of college or working.

Louis decided to rip open the envelope and get the waiting over with. Scanning the results paper, he saw that his grades were exactly what he was expecting. All of his subjects were graded with a mixture of C's and B's. But in music, he got an A - which is the only subject that mattered to him. Louis felt proud that he proved his dad wrong and would now be able to get singing lessons.

Rushing over to Clem, he was waving his results paper frantically in the air while squealing like a baby. Clem tried to see his grades, which he was obviously proud about, she grabbed his wrist and caused him to be still which allowed her to read the paper.

"Oh my god, Lou. I'm so proud of you!" She squealed while pulling him into a strong hug by wrapping her small arms around his waist. Aside from his decent grades, Clem's support made him feel on cloud 9.

Louis began tugging Clem back to the table, and passed her the envelope which held her own results.

"Come on Clem, you're the only one left to open it." He spoke, trying to persuade her to open them.
Clementine took it from him and decided it was only a matter of time before facing the truth. There's no point putting it off much longer.

So, Clem ripped the brown paper apart and began reading the grades.
The sudden overwhelming emotion made Clem cup her mouth with her hand, trying to quieten her emotional outburst.

Feeling worried, Louis looks over his girlfriend's shoulder, to get a look at the grades. On the paper, it showed a mix of B's and A's for every subject. She had gotten beyond the minimum grade requirements to be accepted into her first choice college.

It was Louis's turn to be excited for her. "My girlfriend is going to college!" He announced to the group, looking fondly at her. He looked like a proud parent at their child's football practice.

"I always knew you were the brains in this relationship." He joked.

The only thing in his eye was pride and joy, along with a hint of disappointment.
Disappointment, because she would be off to college and leaving him behind.

Holding her jaw, forcing her to look at him, he spoke to her again. "You're going to college Clem. You are finally following your dreams. This is amazing."

Clem hugged Louis for the second time today, and whispered to him. "You're my one and only, remember that Lou. Regardless of what happens."

Clementine, secretly, felt her own feelings of sadness. It was bitter sweet. She could fulfil her dream, and go to her first choice college across the country and start an adventure. But, all of that meant leaving her home.
Her home that had her family, best friends and Louis.

Authors note
Vote and comment if you enjoyed❤️
This story hit 3k reads just the other day, and we are now on 4k. That's insane! Thank you to everyone that reads🙏🏻