"Of course we are!" I snap.

A summons for one king extends to all kings. No wonder Marcellus wanted to speak to me. He knows this is no game. I expected certain casualties once the council learned that I've declared war against the dogs without their approval but I never expected this.

"No, Nicklaus," Xander snaps, "You do not fully comprehend what I'm saying!"

The air in the room shifts in a matter of seconds. Xander's words confuse me to no end.

"Enlighten me then," I state, struggling to keep my monster at bay.

I'm certain that whatever my father requested is unreasonable. That's just what he does.

"The summons was issued to all eight kings . . ." Xander says like he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I place my hand on his shoulder, encouraging him to continue.

"The summons was issued to all eight vampire kings and the chosen of the king of all vampire kings."

His words knock the wind out of my stomach. My vision starts to bleed as a ton of negative emotions weigh me down like ten pounds of bricks being placed onto my back. My grip tightens around Xander's shoulder. He continues to stand there, holding me in place to keep me from falling. Apprehension cracks through my ice-cold skin like the first strike from a brand-new whip. I shake my head, trying my hardest to take the memory of Xander's last words out of my head.

"What are you implying?" my monsters queries. He is no longer buried deep down inside me. He is fully awake, alert, and ready to spill blood.

Xander removes my hand carefully. I know he is barely detaining his own monster, but he is aware that my monster has freed himself.

"Brother," he says with caution, "you need to calm yourself at once." He takes a deep sigh. "We don't know the reason why he summoned Claire."

With a monstrous growl, I pick up the chair and smash it into the window. Tiny pieces of glass shatter and fly freely all around the west wing. I go on a complete rampage, throwing and breaking anything my claws could get their hands on.

Xander doesn't interfere. He allows me that chance to release my rage and frustration. My emotions are haywire, my judgment is cloudy, and my monster is craving to sink our fangs into anyone.

Suddenly, Xander's body goes stiff and his eyes travel to my bedroom door.

Claire's heart rate picks up speed, indicating that she is awakening. I can feel her trying to invade my mind and understand my thoughts in the process. I block her completely, slamming the door to my mind and emotions shut.

My sensitive ears lock onto the sound of her heavy footsteps as she makes her way to the bedroom door. She stops for a second and changes her direction, heading towards the closet instead. I can detect that she is putting clothes on her body.

Once dressed, she turns back around to make her way out of the room. The door opens and my bloodshot vision centers on her mesmerizing green eyes. We stare at each other for a long while. Time slows down, and without warning, I jump out of the busted window.

* * *

Claire

My breath hitches, forcing me to jump out of my sleep and gasp for air. A ton of negative emotions slams straight into my chest like a car crash and then like a door, it shuts. It takes me a second before I fully awaken to pinpoint the exact source. There's only one person in this world that can take my breath away.