"Oh." Dick mumbled. He saw them die.

"I heard about everything that happened. I'm so sorry that I didn't come earlier. You should have never been sent to the detention center." He genuinely apologized as he looked at him in the eye. Dick could hear the regret in his voice.

"I-It's okay. It's not your fault." He assured.

Bruce got up and filed the papers neatly. "I'm done signing the adoption papers. Once I submit them, we can head home." He informed.

Dick gulped. "Uh, o-okay." He followed Bruce who approached a woman behind a desk. He gave her the signatures. She read over them and stamped them. She started inserting information into a computer and paused.

"Sir, I apologize, but you can not adopt the child." She stated with a dull face.

Bruce's eye brows rose up. "Why not?"

"He illegally got out of a Juvenile detention center a while ago! He must return and stay there."

Bruce squeezed his fist. "He didn't do anything wrong. He needed to be placed in an orphanage and yet he was not. You guys tried to hid it! Do you know who I am?" He interrogated.

To woman squinted at him through her thick glasses. She widened her eyes when she realized who she was talking to. "B-Bruce Wayne?"

He nodded sternly. "Correct. I do not appreciate this poor treatment to the boy. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say there was a bias against him for his background. Shall I consider suing?" He threatened.

The woman sat up straight. "N-no, sir! U-uh, I'm sure we can fix his records involving the detention center. Of course you can adopt the boy. I apologize for the inconvenience, it will not happen again." She informed.

"I hope so." He muttered. He collected the necessary documents that the woman gave to him and stomped away with Dick

Dick looked at him in astonishment. Did that just happen? He just stood up to that lady and defended me...

As if he could read his mind, Bruce said, "You don't have to worry about that ever again. You'll never return to juvie ever again. I promise."

Dick blinked. Promise?

Bruce turned to Dick. "Now, are you hungry?"

Dick nodded. The last time he had eaten was at The Iceburg Lounge.

"I'll have Alfred cook something then. He'll be very surprised to see you." He mentioned. He noticed Dick's puzzled face and pace palmed. "You don't know who Alfred is. Right. Alfred is our butler. He is very compassionate and caring. I'm sure you'll like him." He claimed.

Bruce lead him to his car. It was, as expected, expensive looking. Why do I know so many rich people? Dick joked.
He hopped in the passengers seat. Bruce started the car and they made their way to his house.

Dick thought about the orphanage. He had only been there for an extremely short amount of time yet he got adopted. And Maya, his new friend, had been there much longer with little hope of ever leaving. Such a thought made Dick want to run back there and take her with them.