Flashback...

Your POV

It was nothing but dark, yet a small faint glow of light started heading toward me, and I saw water again. I was underneath it still.

Was I even breathing? I can't even tell anymore, it felt so calming and at peace that it looked like I wasn't even drowning.

Just then, a blurry image of a guy appears from above me. Before I could react, the man's hand reached toward me. I wasn't sure what was happening.

And just like that, with one hand, he pulled me out of the water and set me on my feet as I was coughing my lungs out.

"Hey, kiddo, are you all right? What happened to you?"

That familiar voice. It was deep and friendly, is all I could say. I don't know why I can't look up to see. I wasn't really coughing. I'm exactly where I am just in a...flashback?

"Some older kids tried drowning me, but it's whatever," I had answered, and I had sound like I was about 9-years-old.

"Why would they do that?" The mysterious man asked.

"Why do you care?!" I had scolded before stomping away. But before I tried to, the man grabs my wrist.

"I tried making friends all right," I gave in shamely, "..but they called me a freak because..because..I didn't have parents.

"So it would be whatever if I died anyway. There? Happy? Now leave me alone," I removed his grip from me and started walking away.

"You know living is worth it, right?" He kept talking. "No matter what."

"When you have nothing left," I stopped without turning to him, "there kinda is no point in."

"It does," he stubbornly says, "you're only young, you have many days ahead of you to go on with your life.

"If you'd like, I can be your mentor in Jutsu training. You can train under my wing. You have potential."

"Tch, what potential? I was just about to drown," I laugh and start walking again.

"Oh you do, kiddo. I can tell," he continues, and I stop annoyed. "I promise you do. You just have to give it a try. Trust me."

For some reason, that "trust me" sounded so safe and right. So safe and assure that I wouldn't even hesitate. It was like I've heard it before.

I sighed and thought. "Yeah, sure, okay. I will."

"What's your name?" He asks.

"[Y/N]," I say still without turning around. My surroundings started turning brighter and brighter.

"Well, kiddo," he says, and I finally turn around.

A spiky white-haired middle-aged man with a headband covering one eye and a mask covering up to his nose. His eyes smiled welcoming, not intimidating at all.

And suddenly, I remember.

"I'm Kakashi Hatake," he says, "you can call me Kakashi Sensei."