The Devil at the Table

ابدأ من البداية

“I was sir, but I am serving tonight as Kate is ill with the flu.” She spoke and as she told me, I could see the fear of her facing Lord Darlington again. I almost wanted to demand Kate to get out of the bed but I know that was pushing it a little too far.

“Okay, thank you for telling me.” I told her warmly before going to stand by my mother.

“What was that about?” She whispered harshly in my ear.

I looked at her, “what do you mean mother?”

“You cannot fool me. You know that girl more than the rest of the servants. You treat her differently. Why?” She asked and figuratively, my jaw dropped open.

“I do not mother. Do not be so ridiculous.” I hissed. If we got found out, she would be sacked and it would ruin my family’s name.

“William, if you even go near that girl again and she shall be sacked straight away,” she warned before walking away.

In fact, after our kiss, Edith and I had been getting closer and closer and it made my day when I saw her. Every other day we walked into town together, I going at a different time together so that we did not seem suspicious. We met at the house where the bodies were found. In all, there were five bodies, two adults and three children. We had them removed and I have had the house refitted so that it is safe. It was the only place where we could enjoy each other’s company without being judged or seen.

“William, my son, he is here.” He told me as he came to stand by me with my mother as he walked through the door. We all shook his hand and I would have mistaken him for royalty had I not seen him before.

“William, I have a surprise for you and your son.” He told us and we followed him through to my father’s study. He pulled out if his pocket, two items wrapped in cloth and placed them carefully on the desk. “Now, there items are worth a lot of money. They are the fragments of a meteor that landed a few years ago. I want to give them to you as a thank you give.” He told us and my father and I were shocked to say the least.

“Robert, thank you, from both of us,” my father told him sincerely. Robert passed us one each and as it entered my palm the weight brought it down. The weight of the fragment was quite heavy for a small piece. It was about two stone in weight.

My father took it out of my hand, “William, I shall keep them in this drawer for tonight.” He told me and I nodded my head in response.

“Thank you for this Robert,” I told him and he nodded his head before I walked out of the study to greet the other people, like Charlotte and her horrid father. How Edith can still stand I do not know.

Once we were all sat around the table, I was seated next to Charlotte. “So, how has your day been?” I asked her to start conversation.

She looked at me with distaste. “It has been better than the time you took me to the circus.” She spoke in a harsh tone. The week before, I had taken her to the same circus that I took Edith and she complained all the way through it.

“I am sorry you did not enjoy it, I did however.” I told her.

“Did you? Who are you dating, I or you?” She spat in a whisper to make sure nobody else heard. I sighed, I am not marrying this woman, even if you forced me to go down the aisle. She is horrid and has a cold heart. If we ever had children of our own, she would not treat them nicely and I could not stand that.

The servants wandered in through the doors and Edith headed straight for us, holding two starters in her hands. “Here you go madam, sir.” She spoke softly.

“I did not ask you to speak.” Charlotte hissed and Edith shrank back a little before nodding her head.

“Sorry madam.” She spoke and Charlotte rose an eyebrow at her.

“Go away and do your job properly.” Charlotte snapped, which in turn made me snap.

“Why are you so nasty? She did nothing to you then.” I asked harshly, rising from the table.

“William, sit down.” My mother demanded but I shook my head.

“No, I am not marrying this woman! She is horrible and does not deserve anyone.” I spat before walking from the room to find Edith and ask if she was okay. I found her in the kitchen crying. I brought her to my chest and started to stroke her hair in a comforting gesture whilst mumbling that it was going to be okay.

After a few moments of silence, we were interrupted by someone coming through the door. As I looked at the entrance, I expected the cook, but it was my mother. “Edith, pack your bags, your sacked!” She shouted, her face bright red.

“Mother, you cannot do this. She has done nothing wrong.”

“I can, you have just humiliated your father and I up there.” She yelled. “Now pack your bags. I want you out of here before the dawn rises.” She demanded before going back up the stairs, giving me no chance to argue back.

I took her face between my hands. “I am to come with you. There is no place for me here.” I told her honestly as I wiped the tears from her cheeks.

“No William, you go and marry Charlotte and have a few kids.” She told me, bringing my hands way from her, hurting me a little.

“Edith, I have known since I met you that I do not want to be anywhere but at your side. Please let me come. I will arrange for you to stay somewhere tonight and I shall meet you tomorrow.” I told her and she nodded her head.

“I feel the same.” She mumbled before exiting the room herself to go and get her clothes.