"That is exactly what I should have supposed of you," said Elizabeth.

"You begin to comprehend me, do you?" cried he, turning towards her.

"Oh! yes - I understand you perfectly."

"I wish I might take this for a compliment; but to be so easily seen through I am afraid is pitiful."

Yes, it is pitiful that Miss Bingley's actions are so easily seen through and is causing scorn in some quarters . . . though she is too blind to see it.

"That is as it happens. It does not necessarily follow that a deep, intricate character is more or less estimable than such a one as yours."

Darcy wanted to hear more of Miss Elizabeth's ideas on character but her mother stopped the conversation abruptly.

"Lizzy," cried her mother, "remember where you are, and do not run on in the wild manner that you are suffered to do at home."

"I did not know before," continued Bingley immediately, "that you were a studier of character. It must be an amusing study."

"Yes; but intricate characters are the most amusing. They have at least that advantage."

"The country," said Darcy, "can in general supply but few subjects for such a study. In a country neighbourhood you move in a very confined and unvarying society."

For with a limited population and in an area where you know the majority of the inhabitants there is less to study than if you were in town, thought Darcy.

"But people themselves alter so much, that there is something new to be observed in them for ever." Darcy thought about that. He thought about many people he knew. Some he imagined would not change - his Aunt Catherine and cousin Anne he was sure would not change. Wickham he was sure would not change in his dissolute habits. Georgiana he hoped would change. Colonel Fitzwilliam he was sure would remain the jovial young man he was. Darcy was sure that he himself would not change. He was quite happy as he was now. "Yes, indeed," cried Mrs. Bennet, offended by his manner of mentioning a country neighbourhood. "I assure you there is quite as much of that going on in the country as in town."

Every body was surprised; and Darcy, after looking at her for a moment, turned silently away and walked to stare out the window. He knew not where he had picked up that habit, but found it useful when deeply contemplating something, when he wanted to shut himself away from a situation or contact with people, and useful in preventing others from seeing what he was thinking in circumstances such as this when he could not trust himself to speak politely to the blasted Mrs Bennet.

Mrs. Bennet, who fancied she had gained a complete victory over him, continued her triumph.

"I cannot see that London has any great advantage over the country for my Part , except the shops and public places. The country is a vast deal pleasanter, is not it, Mr.. Bingley?"

"When I am in the country,'' he replied, "I never wish to leave it; and when I am in town it is pretty much the same. They have each their advantages, and I can be equally happy in either."

"Aye -- that is because you have the right disposition. But that gentleman," continued Mrs Bennet, looking at Darcy, "seemed to think the country was nothing at all."

"Indeed, Mama, you are mistaken," said Miss Elizabeth, blushing for her mother. "You quite mistook Mr.. Darcy. He only meant that there were not such a variety of people to be met with in the country as in town, which you must acknowledge to be true."

At least Miss Elizabeth had the propriety to be embarrassed at her mother's behaviour. She looks as if she wishes herself a thousand miles away.

"Certainly, my dear, nobody said there were; but as to not meeting with many people in this neighbourhood, I believe there are few neighbourhoods larger. I know we dine with four and twenty families."