43

The following day -- things still felt bitter, numb, just unreal

The following day -- things still felt bitter, numb, just unreal. May had told Peter that Hiram Lodge had arrived to the Pembrooke, and that there may be dinner with them for the good they've done for the two of them.

Peter didn't seem to mind -- though he was a bit worried given the rumors about Hiram Lodge and how much Veronica believed her father had something to do with Jason's death.

Peter was grabbing his backpack and heading for the door when he heard his mother call out to him. Peter paused and turned his head.

"Tonight, the Lodges had asked us to have dinner with them." May said.

Peter nods, "I know, mom." He said, "I'll see you after school."

Peter headed out of the room -- in the hallway and toward the elevator. When he reached the lobby, he saw Veronica talking to their butler -- Smithers. And then both Veronica and Smithers noticed the boy.

"Oh good morning, Peter." Smithers said, "How are you?"

Peter adjusts his backpack strap, "I'm good, Smithers." He smiles.

Since moving in Smithers has made Peter and his mother feel welcomed. Peter stepped over to Veronica, both ready for school.

"Ready for school?" Peter asks Veronica.

Veronica groans, "I guess." She turns to Smithers, "TTFN, Smithers."

Both Peter and Veronica began to head toward the main exit of the building.

Smithers then calls out, "Oh, wait, Ms Veronica. You might want to take the side exit." He says.

This caused both teens to pause and turn their attention to Smithers. Peter knew there was going to be drama with Hiram's return -- and he knew that living here was going to put him and possible his mom in the middle of it.

"Why?" Veronica asks.

And then the door opens and closes behind -- revealing none other than Hiram Lodge. In the flesh.

"Yeah, why, Smithers?" Hiram asks gaining their attention, "Because she might bump into me coming from an early run?"

Hiram was dressed in sweats -- holding a water bottle in one hand and taking out earbuds, indicating that he was listening to music.

Veronica turns to her father, "Good morning, father." She said.

"Mija," Hiram said, "You leave before breakfast, you come after your mother and I have had dinner. I can't remember the last time we had a meal together as a family."

Peter felt awkward -- this was a conversation that he should bare witness. He looks at Veronica -- how she was able to handle her own in front of her parent was admirable.

"I can. It was at the Dakota. The day you got arrested." Veronica said without batting an eye.

"Well, perhaps we should talk about that. Tonight, at dinner." He said and then turns to Peter, "I've invited Peter and May as well."