37

Peter was going through some old stuff in his room with Ned -- well Ned was playing Mario Kart while Peter was sorting through things

A knock at the door.

"Its open!" Peter yells.

In to poke her head was May Lockhart -- she had a smile on her face and looks directly at her son.

"Hey, boys." May said.

Peter looks at his mom, "Hey."

Ned turns to look at Peter's mom, "Hi Mrs Lockhart."

May shakes her head, "Ned, you've known me long enough to know that I prefer May." She said.

Ned nods with a small smile, "Yes, May." He said.

Peter tossed an old shirt on his bed and then says, "So is everything okay?" He asks.

May nods and then says, "Yeah, I just need a word with you. If that's alright."

Ned nods, "Take him, May. He's been ruining my concentration." Ned said.

Peter sighs and shakes his head.

May steps out -- followed by Peter, who shut the door behind him. The two stood in the hallway and in silence. Peter crossed his arms on his chest, looking at his mom.

Since she returned this morning, nothing much had been addressed on his parent's marriage or an explanation for the bills.

"Mom," Peter says, "What's going on?"

May looks from the wall to her son, "You always were too smart for your own good, Pete." Her smile fades from her lips as she then looks down, "Things aren't great here."

Peter looks at her, "Wha- What do you mean?" He asks.

"My relationship with your father is- it's going to take time to repair," She said, "I- I haven't fully forgiven him yet. It's been hard to even look him in the eyes."

Peter nods in silence.

"Your father and I decided that we need to figure things out, but- your father is dealing with some business issues." May said.

"That explains the bills and letters from the bank," Peter said, "Is everything okay?"

May shakes her head, "No. All I know from your father is a serious lawsuit is harming the company. So, he's going to be going back to New York." She said, "To try and fix the company."

Peter nods.

"And in the meantime," May said, "We'll be moving out of the estate and into an apartment at the Pembrooke."

Peter looks at bit confused, "What? Why?"

May frowns, "Your father- trying to save his company put the deed of the estate on the line in hopes to have enough money," She shakes her head, "But- as smart as he is, he was an idiot for sure."