05

Archie was walking home after dropping off Reggie, reeling from the night

Archie was walking home after dropping off Reggie, reeling from the night. The party had quickly ended after Archie and Veronica had come out of the closet -- to find Betty missing. It also seemed to be that Peter was missing as well and only his close friends noticed -- not Cheryl.

Archie passes the one place in town that's open. It was Pop's Diner. He steps inside and sees someone at a booth -- Jughead Jones, who looks at Archie. Archie waves at Jughead and walks over.

Archie joins his former friend, who was sitting in front of an open laptop and had a half-drank cup of coffee to the side. Archie lifts his head and sighs deeply which gained Jughead's attention.

"Hey," Archie said.

Jughead sighs back, "Hey,"

"Can I sit?" Archie asks.

Jughead shrugs, to which Archie sits down across from the loner.

"What are you working on?" Archie asks.

Jughead looks from the screen to the jock, "A novel."

"Cool," Archie said, "Still?"

Jughead nods, "It takes a while. Had a break-through this summer. Finally landed on something to write about," He then shifts the topic, "Coach Kleats was in here. Varsity? That makes you, what? Mr Popular Football God, now?"

Archie rubs the back of his neck, "Uh- no, not so sure about that- in fact, I'm kind of terrified I lost my best friend tonight." He says.

Jughead looks at Archie seriously, "Yeah, you do that a lot." He says, "If you mean Betty, whatever happened, just talk to her, man. That would've gone a long way. It would've gone a long way with me." He says.

Archie frowns, "I was actually thinking," He starts, "Maybe I could write her a song to explain- exactly how much she means to me."

Jughead was silent. He had his head resting on his hands looking at the ginger in front of him. And Archie's gaze was outside -- into the darkness of the town.

"Did you know Jason Blossom, Jug?" Archie asks.

Jughead shakes his head, "Not on a personal level- but everyone knew him." He says.

"Seventeen years old- and how will he be remembered? As Captain of the Water Polo Team? The Aquaholics?" Archie spoke.

"Considering how he died, probably not." Jughead said.

Archie looks at Jughead, "What I mean is, did he make this place- this shitty town better?" He asks.

"The Jason Blossoms of the world rarely do." Jughead said without changing his expression.

Archie frowns and looks at Jughead, "Juggie, I'm sorry man. I never said that to you, but- I'm so sorry." He said.

"For which part of it?" Jughead asks.