Compassion

I woke up dead tired, man was I happy that it was the weekend, meaning we didn't have to train today, I slowly began to sit up as I rubbed my face, I glanced over at Toby's bed to see an unidentifiable blob under the blankets, I wasn't a hundred percent sure it was him but it was a pretty good guess, I flinched when my arms began to sting, I looked to see scratch marks on them, I let out a dissatisfied sigh, I got out of bed and went to the bathroom, I looked at the shower door in dissatisfaction, it was still broken and I was hoping to actually get a shower this weekend, meaning I had to replace it, I brushed off that worry for now, though.
I dug through some drawers and soon found a tube of something, I opened it and put some on my hands, I then rubbed it on the scratch marks, it soothed the burn and sting, I then began brushing my teeth, once I was about done the bathroom door opened, I looked over to see Toby walk in, he had dark circles under his eyes and looked tired as all hell, he didn't say anything to me as he went over to brush his teeth, I just ignored him, once I was done brushing my teeth I looked at my face, I decided to shave, I found my shaving cream quickly and my razor, I then began to shave, after a minute I noticed Toby was watching me.
"What?" I asked as I looked at him.
He quickly turned his attention away from me as he continued to brush his teeth, I continued to shave, I heard something hit another door in the room, both of us looked over at the door, it lead to Liu and BEN's room, we shared the bathroom, I turned my attention back to the mirror as Toby continued to stare.
"Are you dying?" I heard BEN ask from inside the room.
"Of course not!" I heard Liu shout.
"Shut up!" I shouted.
It quickly fell quiet, I continued to shave, Toby was quiet as he stood next to me, once I was finished I wiped my face with a towel, I then went back into the room to change, I found a t-shirt and jeans, I heard the door open and I looked over to see Toby come in, he still looked tired, I was wide awake now, he went over to his dresser and began to change, I kept my attention away from him, it was quiet.
"Um..." Toby said quietly.
"What?" I asked, not looking at him.
"A-about last n-night..."
"I thought we agreed not to talk about it." I said in slight annoyance.
"I-I know, but...." He trailed off.
I looked over at him, he was facing away from me.
"N-never mind." He said quietly.
I stared at him a while longer before I continued what I was doing, once I was dressed there was a knock on the door.
"What?" I asked in annoyance.
"Slender wants you downstairs for lunch." BEN said.
"Okay." Toby said.
I looked at the clock to see it was about twelve thirty, I let out a slight sigh and grabbed my mask, I left the room with Toby close behind, soon we reached the dining hall, just about everyone was already down there, some were just talking happily while others were eating, I went over to the serving table and got a bit of food, Toby was right next to me heaping his plate, I just ignored him, I went off and sat down off and generally alone, Toby sat down right next to me.
"Why?" I asked as I looked at him.
He looked at me blankly, I glared at him slightly, he then smiled at me, he turned away from me and put a big spoonful of food in his mouth, I let out a slight groan as I looked away.
"Such a handful..." I said quietly.
(Look at Tim.)
I quickly scanned across the room and spotted him, Masky was sitting a little ways down the table from me with Hoodie right next to him, he had his chin resting in the palm of his hand and his other one was taping its fingers impatiently, he was staring at his untouched food, I recognized the look in his eyes, something wasn't right about him, I looked around a bit more but didn't notice Slender in the room, if he were in the room he probably would have noticed by now, I looked back at Masky with concern, I nudged Toby.
"Wha-at?" Toby whined at me.
I used my head to gesture to Masky and Toby fell silent, he continued to eat his food but I knew he was keeping an eye on Masky now, Hoodie appeared to be doing the same thing, I listened to everyone's conversation as I kept an eye on him as well, though I did my best not to be facing him, just so he wouldn't notice.
Masky slowly covered his mouth with his palm as he began to look worse, he was turning pale, he suddenly shoved his food away from him and stood up, quickly heading for the door, both Toby and Hoodie were up and following him.
"Tim, hold on." Hoodie said just as they left.
The room was completely silent now, I stared at the door waiting for Toby to come back but he didn't, soon everyone began talking again, I looked at my food silently, I grabbed the roll on my plate and got up, I then left the room without another thought, no one seemed to notice, I looked around but didn't see any of the proxies, I ate the roll silently as I walked around the house, I still didn't see any of them, soon I heard a door open and I looked to see Toby closing the door, he looked bothered by something.
"Toby." I said.
He jumped out of his skin and quickly turned to me, he chuckled slightly once he noticed it was just me.
"Is he okay?" I asked as I walked over.
"Who?" Toby asked, "Tim?"
"Yes." I replied.
Toby looked bothered again.
"What happened?" I asked, folding my arms.
"Um... s-someone stole h-his medication." Toby said, "He hasn't taken a-any since y-yesterday aftern-noon."
Now I was worried, no wonder he was having a mental breakdown last night.
"Someone stole it?" I asked.
"W-well, that's what w-we think." Toby said, "He s-sure didn't lose i-it."
I furrowed my brow, if someone did steal it they weren't going to get away with it, I was going to make sure of it.
"I'll keep an eye out for it." I said.
"Okay." Toby said.
I then left him alone, he still looked bothered, I went off and started to look for Masky's medicine, I wasn't seeing it anywhere, I was certain as well that someone took it, as I walked around I remembered the shower door, I sighed and figured I would at least fix that, when I wasn't looking for something I tend to find it faster, I went to a room that wasn't used often and went in, it was just full of replacement parts for the mansion, I found a shower door quickly and began to take it upstairs, once back to the room I took it into the bathroom, I then began to replace the shower door, when I got the old one off I set it to the side.
(Who else sees that?)
I looked up.
"See what?" I asked.
(Look at the counter.)
I looked at the counter to see a prescription bottle sitting near the faucet, I set my tools down and got up, I went over and picked it up, it had Masky's name on it, I felt sick to my stomach.
(How did it get in here?)
(Was it us?)
(Was it Toby?)
"I don't think it was Toby." I said.
(Yes, but he was acting strangely.)
"I still don't think it was him." I said as I slipped the bottle into my pocket, "That's not like him."
I left the room to go find Toby, as I wandered around I spotted Hoodie, at this point I didn't care, Masky needed his meds and any proxy is the fastest way to get it to him, I walked over to him and he glanced up at me, he quickly braced for impact, I pulled the bottle out of my pocket and held it out to him, the pills making a rattling sound as I moved it, he slowly looked up at the bottle.
"Get this to him." I said as I looked away slightly.
Hoodie held out his hands slightly and I dropped the bottle into them, I then walked away.
(You should at least ask Toby.)
(Maybe you could get answers on what's bothering him so much.)
"Okay, fine." I said quietly, "I'll go find him."
I went off to find Toby but couldn't find him anywhere, I checked the kitchen, living room, dining hall, our room, our bathroom, I felt like I couldn't find him anywhere.
(Slender did say there was a library here, do you think he could be in there?)
"It's a possibility." I said as I rubbed the back of my neck, "I have no clue where it is, though."
(You could ask for derec... I guess that won't work.)
"Yeah, no one talks to me." I said, I sighed, "I'll just try and find it, maybe if I see Ann she'll tell me..."
I began walking around aimlessly, I went around a corner and was quickly greeted by running into someone, I took a step back and looked to see Slender, he looked pissed, I went to step out of his way but he grabbed my shoulder, now I knew he was pissed at me, he dragged me downstairs and to the living room, I saw everyone else was down there, now I was starting to wonder if it was me he was mad at, I noticed the only one who wasn't there was Masky, I was let go and Slender turned to everyone.
"Who stole Masky's prescription?" He asked, anger in his voice.
No one spoke up, I glanced around, wanting to know the answer myself.
"Eyeless Jack..." Slender trailed off.
I'm in trouble.
"Hoodie said you were the one who gave him the medication." Slender said.
I'm in deep trouble.
"I...!" Toby suddenly spoke up.
We all looked over at him, he looked nervous as shit.
"I s-stole it..." Toby trailed off, "I-I thought it would b-be funny, but I w-went too f-far..."
I didn't believe a word he said, Slender went to say something.
"That's not like you Toby." I said, causing everyone to look at me, "I haven't known you long, and yes, you are annoying, but you would never go that far."
I glanced towards Laughing Jack.
"You know your boundaries." I said, "Unlike most people in this damn place."
It was completely silent.
"Why did you lie?" Slender asked finally.
Toby didn't say anything as he looked away, he still looked nervous as shit, Slender turned his attention back to me and I kept my gaze away from him.
"You know, Slender..." Laughing Jack trailed off.
Please don't say anything about me.
"Eyeless Jack did ditch halfway through training yesterday." Laughing Jack continued, "When he got back he probably stole it and hid it, just as some cruel joke."
Fuck.
Slender's silence towards me meant he believed him.
"Eyeless Jack..." He trailed off.
"He couldn't have!" Toby spoke up suddenly.
We all looked back at him, he looked even more nervous.
"Um..." He trailed off, "I lied..."
Slender seemed to be done with his antics, he went to say something.
"Jack... didn't a-actually come back b-before me like I s-said." Toby said as he looked away from Slender, "H-he showed up here well past b-bedtime..."
He had his head low.
"I-I lied... because... I-I didn' want h-him in t-trouble." He said.
Now it was completely silent.
"If he wasn't home, then where was he?" Jeff asked.
"I wonder... could he have been hiding in the mansion?" Nina asked.
I knew I was in trouble now.
"He wasn't home..." Toby trailed off, "I s-saw him in the f-forest before I g-got back."
He pointed at Liu.
"Sully p-pissed him off and h-he left in a r-rage." Toby said, "O-once it got cl-close to when we were l-leaving I went to find him."
He lowered his hand.
"I d-didn't bother trying to g-get him back to the m-mansion." Toby said, "I didn't w-want him to p-punch me..."
I looked away from everyone, I really was in deep now, wasn't I?
"Is this true, Jack?" Slender asked.
"Does it matter if I reply?!" I asked angrily, "It's not like anyone believes me in this damn place!"
I then began to push past everyone, heading for the basement door.
"I already know the drill, I'll just wait down here." I growled out.
I forced the door open and went down, I really felt like I was going to cry now, once I reached the bottom of the stairs I snarled slightly as I punched the concrete wall, I felt every bone in my hand shift, I sat there in fuming rage for a second before I slowly looked at my hand, it was still bandaged from last night, I sat down on the bottom step and stared at my hands, speckles of blood staining from where I punctured myself, I stared at it silently before something black dripped from my eyes and landed on it, I closed my hands and let them fall in front of me, my head dropping down, I really did want to cry.
Why would Toby lie for my sake? Why the hell is he being so nice to me?! What did I do to deserve this?!
What did I do... to deserve him...?
I jumped when I felt a hand on my back, I looked to see Toby.
"Jack...?" He asked, "A-are you okay?"
I didn't say anything as I lowered my head again.
"Slender said y-you can come back u-upstairs." Toby said, "I'm the o-one in trouble."
"Stop lying for my sake." I said, "I know I can't come back."
He didn't say anything.
"Liu admitted to t-taking the pills." Toby said, "It was m-mostly Sully, they also skipped o-out on training after I ch-chewed him out, he put th-the pills where you'd find th-them to get back at you."
I looked back at him.
"Slender really d-did say you could come b-back up." Toby said.
I looked back at my hands, soon I sighed and stood up, I then followed him out of the basement, as we reached the top of the stairs I could hear Slender chewing out Liu and Sully, Toby silently lead me passed everyone and up to the room, I figured I would get back to what I was doing before.
(He still seems upset about something.)
I stopped before I went into the bathroom and Looked back at him, he was looking rather distressed as he was looking down, I went over behind him.
"Why're you so bothered?" I asked.
He tensed up but didn't look at me, I stared at him silently.
"You can talk to me." I said, "What's wrong?"
He stood silently for a moment longer before he slowly turned to me, he had his gaze away from me.
"What's wrong?" I asked again.
"It's.... i-it's about l-last night... w-when you b-bit me..." He trailed off.
I grabbed his arm and pulled up his sleeve, I didn't see any marks on his arm which I found weird, I was certain that was the arm I bit.
"N-not there..." He said as he pulled his hand away from me.
He seemed nervous, he still had his gaze away from me, he slowly reached up and moved his sweatshirt away from his neck, once his shoulder was visible I saw deep pointed marks on it, right where his shoulder muscle was, I felt sick to my stomach at the sight.
"I-I didn't want to t-tell you because I kn-knew you would be u-upset." Toby said, "B-but I didn't w-want to go to anyone e-else because you'd g-get in trouble..."
I really didn't deserve him, I must had bit him when I was still asleep, probably when we were struggling with each other, I looked back at his arm just as he was pulling his sleeve down.
"What happened to the other one?" I asked.
He was quiet.
"You d-didn't bite th-that hard..." He said quietly.
I was quiet, I let out a slight sigh.
"Okay, I'll look at the bite." I said.
"Okay." He said as he sat on his bed.
I sat behind him and he pulled off his sweatshirt, I then began to look at the bite mark, it was already scabbed over, I was mostly making sure it wasn't getting infected, once he passed all my tests I let it go.
"Well, it doesn't seem infected." I said, "But just to make sure I'll get you some antibiotics."
"Okay." Toby said.
I got up and went over to the dresser, I moved everything on it for a minute before I found what I was looking for, I went back over to him and got a few of the pills out for him, I handed them to him.
"Thanks." Toby said.
I set the bottle down on the nightstand and went back to the bathroom.
(It's nice seeing you like this.)
"Like what?" I asked quietly, "Depressed?"
(Trusting someone.)
I was quiet, I bit my lip slightly.
"I don't trust him." I finally said as I got back to fixing the shower door.
(Then why didn't you believe him when he said he stole the pills?)
I stopped.
(You trusted that he wouldn't do such a thing.)
(Doesn't that mean you trust his personality?)
(Or maybe... trust the person?)
"Shut up." I growled slightly, "I don't get along with people."
(Ah yes...)
(But for how long?)