Chapter 28

“Don’t you think it’s weird that we all ended up in the same place for lunch” Isabel chuckled as they waiter came to take the rest of the tables orders. 

“Yeah small world” Rachel replied as she shifted in her seat and closer to Finn who had taken the seat next to her. Puck and Quinn sat across from them both sitting silently and looking quite awkward with one another. 

“So Blaine have you enjoyed your trip to New York?” Finn asked him trying to find something to concentrate on other than the feel of Rachel's legs against his own or how her small hand was resting high on his thigh. 

Blaine swallowed the mouthful of water he had before answering “Yeah it’s been great, I hate to leave” he said sending a sideways glance at Isabel who had gone quiet all of a sudden. 

“Yeah the place kind of grows on you doesn’t it?” Finn smiled. 

“Yeah I plan on coming back soon and a lot more often” he replied but his comment was directed entirely at Isabel who finally looked up at him. 

Puck kept turning to Quinn wanting to open his mouth and say something but every time he did he couldn’t find his voice. He wondered if she received his email yet? She hadn’t said anything so did that mean that she hadn’t or was this her way of turning him down. 

“So working today?” he finally asked. 

“Um yeah” Quinn nodded “how about you, busy?” she asked. 

“Not too bad today I just finished a new design actually” he said. 

Seeing that everyone was deep in conversation Rachel leaned in closer to Finn “how’s work?” she asked. 

Finn groaned “you have no idea how much work I have to do and at the rate I’m going you’ll be lucky to see me for the rest of the week” he said. 

Rachel frowned “that bad?” 

Finn nodded. “So you’ll be pulling a few all nighters over the next week?” she asked. 

“Unfortunately yes. I’m sorry,” he whispered. 

Rachel smiled “Finn please don’t be sorry. I understand how work can be,” she explained. 

“Sure you wont change your mind and come work for me?” he asked jokingly. 

“I was actually going to ask you about that” she said then. 

Finn arched an eyebrow at her in question. 

“Got any openings?” she asked. 

The more she thought about it the more she knew Quinn was right. There were plenty of other firms that would be happy to have her including Hudson and associates where she wouldn’t be taken for granted just because she was a woman who was good at her job. 

“Of course” he said “just say the word and there will be an office and computer waiting for you” he said. 

Rachel nodded and smiled “ok” she told him. 

“So you and Finn seemed to have got close” Quinn commented as her and Rachel walked back towards Rachel's office. 

Rachel stiffened a little but recovered before Quinn could notice, “Is that a bad thing?” she asked her. 

“What? No” Quinn shook her head “its great you’ve made some new friends” she added. 

Rachel watched Quinn's expression then and wondered if she really did think that “Finn is a wonderful guy you know” she told her.