6/30 Family Meeting

'For the last time VD, you look fine,' Alia says, holding back a laugh as she watches him tug at the sleeves of his shirt.

'I feel like I'm underdressed,' he mutters, looking down at himself like he's trying to judge his own attire.

'Varun, your jeans aren't ripped, you're wearing a button-up and you've even got a tie on; you're fine,' she assures. 'If anything, you're overdressed.' He sighs and falls silent as they climb the steps that will take them to her parents flat, starting to fidget again once she's rung the bell.

Yaar, seriously, calm down,' she tells him as they wait for the door to open. 'My parents know you and they adore you, there's nothing for you to worry about.'

'I know, I know,' he sighs. 'But that doesn't change the fact that I'm dating their youngest daughter. Your dad's gonna grill me so bad. '

'They knew this was going to happen before we did. There's no chance they'll be anything but accepting - just like your parents were,' she reminds.

'You mean after they got passed the shocked and annoyed and completely disbelieving part?' he asks with a laugh.

'That's exactly what I mean,' she agrees. 'I mean, my parents can't possibly react worse than that.'

'When you put it like that...' he trails off, conceding the point with a shrug.

'Exactly, so stop fidgeting, unbutton your cuffs, roll your sleeves up and loosen your tie so you actually look like my boyfriend and not some factory-produced, dime-a-dozen one,' she instructs, a stupidly happy grin spreading across his dace at her words, doing what she'd told him to.

He's just finished fixing his tie when the door opens, the smiling face of one of the members of the Bhatt's household staff greeting them. She steps back to allow them in, gesturing for them to go ahead while she locks the door.

The two make their way through to the sitting room where Alia's parents and sister are already sat, in the middle of a conversation about a recently released book. 'I've read it,' Alia states by way of greeting as she takes one of the two available seats next to her sister. 'It's a good book if you're looking for something that doesn't need too much focus.'

'So, basically, you wouldn't recommend?' Shaheen asks knowingly, getting a nod from her sister. 'Oh, and hi Varun,' she adds as an afterthought, like Varun showing up at a family dinner was perfectly normal.

'Hey Shaheen,' he returns, wondering to himself if maybe it actually is normal.

'We've not seen you in a while better, been busy?' Alia's mum asks him and he realises that it is, in fact, quite normal for him to be here.

'Crazy busy aunty,' he answers. 'Filming two movies, prepping for a third and I've been spending pretty much all my free time at my parent's place, with my niece.'

'I take it you're enjoying having a baby in the family then?' Alia's dad asks him.

'A lot yeah,' he confirms.

'So when are you planning on starting your own family then?' Shaheen teases, playfully nudging her sister too, making the pair roll their eyes.

'Actually, I was saying to Alia the other day, now my brother has a kid, I should probably start thinking about getting married at the least,' he says unthinkingly, forgetting that the Bhatt family knows him well enough to read between the lines.

'Do you two talk about the future a lot then?' her mum questions with an eyebrow raised. Varun turns to his girlfriend with an oh shit expression that she really shouldn't find nearly half as endearing as she does.

Laughing a little, she takes a hold of his hand and turns back to her parents. 'Actually, recently, yeah, we have been,' she tells them with a smile. 'Been doing a lot of talking about our future.'

The statement is met with a minute's stunned silence which is broken by Shaheen. 'About time,' she says, giving them both a grin and wrapping an arm around Alia in a brief side hug.

Varun grins back and then looks to Alia's parents, gulping audibly when he sees the look her father's face. 'So, Varun, what're your intentions with my daughter?' Bhattsaab asks.

'Well, sir, I, uh, I mean -' he stutters, unable to form actual words.

'I'm just kidding son,' the man laughs and Varun relaxes. 'I know your intentions can't be anything but good.'

'Of course uncle,' he says with a nod.

'Now, how about you two tell us about filming?' Alia's mum asks, deciding to steer the conversation away from what's bound to become an awkward topic.

'Uh actually, I heard about your book Shaheen. I was kind of hoping the hear more about it,' Varun says, looking at the elder Bhatt sister.

'Oh yeah, sure,' she says with a shrug.

As she begins to talk about what is clearly her passion project, Alia leans back into the sofa, watching as her boyfriend attentively listens to her sister, smiling. Yeah, she thinks, there's definitely not a better guy than him.