Nightmares

Varun P.O.V.

I jolted upright in bed, tangled in my quilt, my heart pounding and my head spinning as I tried to make sense of things.

I calmed a little as I recognised my familiar surroundings. I began to list the facts I knew to try and sort out my mess of thoughts.

I was in my room at home.
It was three forty-seven a.m.
There was nobody else there.
My phone hadn't rang.
I hadn't got a phone call from the hospital.
It had just been a nightmare.
Alia was fine.
There hadn't been a car crash.
I had seen her two days ago.
Alia was fine.
She wasn't in a coma at the hospital.
She was probably at home, sleeping peacefully.

Even though I kept telling myself she was fine, I couldn't make myself believe it. I needed to speak to her, prove to myself that she was okay. I picked up my phone and dialed her number.

'Hey, you've reached Alia Bhatt.' I didn't bother listening to the rest of the voicemail message. I hung up the phone and untangled myself from my blanket before climbing out of bed.

As irrational as it was, it made me worry that I had been sent to voicemail. I know she was probably sleeping, but I had just had a nightmare and I wasn't thinking straight. So, I did what any sane person would do. I grabbed a jacket, went downstairs, put on my shoes, grabbed my keys and went to Alia's house.

You're probably thinking I'm an idiot. You'd be right. It's almost four in the morning and I'm driving to see Alia just because I had a nightmare and I needed proof that she was perfectly healthy and unharmed.

What else am I supposed to do?

I needed to know that it had really just been a nightmare. To do that, I needed to see her. She'd probably kill me for waking her up, but I'd take the risk.

When I pulled up outside the house she shared with her sister, I saw the sitting room light was still on. The curtains were shut, so I didn't know who was still awake, but I was thankful that one of them was.

I rang the doorbell and waited, maybe a little impatiently, for someone to answer.

When the door opened, my heart sank a little. It was Shaheen.

'Varun? Isn't it a little late to be visiting?' She asked.

'Uh yeah. I guess. I hadn't really thought about that.' She looked at me a second before speaking again.

'You look a little pale. Did something happen?'

'No. Just not having a good night.' I didn't want to get into it so I quickly changed the conversation. 'Listen, is Alia in?'

'Yeah. She's up in her room, sleeping.' Relief washed over me.

'Okay. Could you tell her to call me in the morning?'

'You drove all this way at this time of night just to ask me to tell her to call you?' She sounded sceptical.

'Well, actually I wanted to see her but considering she's asleep...'

'You knew that she'd probably be asleep when you came out here. If you want, you can go up and see her. She might have woken up with the bell.' We both knew that she probably hadn't been woken up.

'Are you sure?'

'Yeah. She won't mind. Come in.' I went inside and she shut the door.

'Thanks.' I told her.

'It's cool. Go ahead, you know the way.' I nodded and headed up the stairs.

The door to Alia's room was slightly open. I looked in and saw she was asleep on her side, the blanket half hanging off the bed. I pushed the door open a little more and quietly made my way into the room.