I Need You

So, this is going to get a little emotional. I'm afraid someone gets seriously injured and, as you can probably tell, there is a baby involved. Might tug on your heart strings a little. And I know from the beginning it will seem like Varun isn't involved but he is don't worry.

Alia P.O.V.

If you have siblings, especially older, you know that siblings are like extra parents. They take care of you and make sure you have everything you need and then some. My older siblings spoilt me and pampered me. They have always looked after me, made sure I never got hurt and have always been there when I need someone. I can talk to them, especially Shaheen, more than my parents. Any problems, I would go to her.

So, when I found out I was going to be a masi, I was over the moon and I promised I would treat the baby like Shaheen had treated me, be almost a second mother, well Shaheen was like my third mother after my mum and Pooja, but the point still stands.

Still, I was more than a little shocked when Shaheen asked me for a favour but there was no way I could say no.

'Alia, we've been thinking and we decided that we need to have someone who will look after this baby if something were to happen to us' Rohan began.

'Okay...'

'We were wondering if you would agree to look after your niece/nephew if need be?' Shaheen asked.

'Me? Are you sure?' I knew they wouldn't go to my parents, Shaheen had fallen out with my parents because she had wanted to get married and they said she couldn't because Rahul wasn't married yet, but I thought they would go to Pooja or Rahul, not me.

'Yes. We know you'll love this child more than anyone, possibly even more than we will. There's nobody else we would rather chose. And anyway, what are the chances of something happening to us both?'

I had agreed but I should have known then that she had practically just cursed herself.

2:36 a.m. on the 16th November 2015 is the time my life completely changed.

I got a phone call from the hospital telling me my sister and her husband had been in a car accident. Shaheen was critical, Rohan hadn't made it.

All I could think was of the baby. Shaheen was still pregnant.

They said they were operating, trying to save the baby and I needed to go to the hospital.

I went, didn't hesitate. Didn't even bother to change out of my pyjamas.

When I got there, I barely had to wait five minutes for the doctor to come out, but it felt like five hours. I was waiting anxiously, having only been told that Shaheen was still in the operation theatre when I had asked the receptionist.

'Family of Shaheen Bhatt.' The doctor called. I rushed over. From the look on his face, I could tell the news wasn't good. 'You must be Alia.' It was a bit of a surprise to not be recognised, but it was also nice to be treated normally for a change.

'Uh, yeah. I'm Alia.' I confirmed.

'Miss Bhatt, before I tell you anything, please do understand that it was a delicate situation and we always want to save the child first.' I nodded apprehensivly. 'The baby made it. We managed to operate in time and she is mostly fine, a little early and a little small, but she's healthy.' I breathed a sigh of relief. My niece was okay.

'What about... what about Shaheen?' I asked.

'I'm really very sorry, Miss Bhatt. There was nothing we could do. She lost a lot of blood and it came to a choice between her or the baby. She didn't make it.' I barely managed to comprehend what he said.