Party Time

'Varun, wait up!' calls a girl, half running down the corridor to catch up with the boy who's stopped in his tracks. She comes to a halt in front of him and he flashes a smile, reaching out with practiced ease as she stumbles slightly, by now used to having to catch her. 

'You're in a rush,' he comments, fully expecting the swat on the arm he receives. 

'Was trying to catch you before you left,' she tells him, noticing as she does that he's not alone and turning to the other man. 'Oh, hey Arjun,' she greets, cheeks going pink as he chuckles. 

'Hey yourself Bhatt,' he returns. 'Am I not worth noticing now?' 

'No, it's not like that,' she hastens to assure, 'I just wanted to make sure I caught Varun before he disappeared because it's almost impossible to get hold of him nowadays and didn't entirely register...' she trails off, face heating as she realises how bad it sounds but Arjun dismisses it with another laugh and a wave of his hand. 

'No worries, I get it. Though why the man who's permanently attached to his phone is hard to get a hold of, I don't,' he states, shooting Varun a questioning look. 

The man in question clears his throat, pretending he hasn't heard his friends comment while Alia looks to the floor, fully aware of why Varun no longer answers her calls. 'So, what's up?' Varun asks, a little louder than necessary, desperate for a subject change. 

'You free next Saturday?' Alia questions, gratefully seizing the opportunity to direct the conversation away from the awkward topic. 

'I'd have to check, why?' he asks, discreetly stepping on Arjun's foot as the older man opens his mouth to say something - most likely about the fact that the young Dhawan's schedule is completely empty that day. 

'Party at my place, was hoping you'd be able to make it,' Alia answers, expression on her face one of optimism. 

'Is that a good idea? I mean, if I'm spotted at yours, media will have a field day,' he points out, all too aware of how careful they have to be about keeping their friendship quiet nowadays. 

'Well, it's not an industry thing. Just some friends getting together, having a good time. You're kind of the only person from the industry I'm even telling about it,' she says, looking almost nervous. 

'Nice to know I don't count as a person,' Arjun puts in, shocking both of them a little; they'd almost forgotten he was present, managing to get caught up in each other even in such a short conversation. 

'No, I uh, shit-' 

'Chill, I was joking,' Arjun assures, by now more than accustomed to the way his two friends can forget the rest of the world when they're in each other's presence. 'I know how you two are.' 

'Sorry man,' Varun apologises anyway, aware that his friend isn't really offended but feeling slightly bad all the same. 

'So, you reckon you'll be able to make it?' Alia asks after a moment of silence, hopeful expression back in place as she turns to her four-time co-star again. 

'I'll try but I make no promises,' he tells her, feeling something inside him pull as her face drops ever-so-slightly. 

'Alright, that's cool. I guess I'll see you around then,' she says, the cheer in her voice now fake. She doesn't wait for a reply as she walks away, muttering a short bye to Arjun as she passes him.  

Varun turns to look over his shoulder, watching Alia until she's out of sight before turning back to Arjun. 'You're so going aren't you?' the Kapoor asks. 

'Of course I'm going. One whole night of being around Alia and not having to restrain myself... I'd be insane to pass it up,' he answers. 

'So why...?'