A real Dhawan

Varun P.O.V.

I was in the sitting room with Kavya, helping her with her homework, when Anjali got home. From the way the door slammed shut, I figured she'd had a bad day at school so I shifted some of Kavya's papers, clearing space for my older daughter to come sit and complain to me like she usually does. 'Hey Anju how was-' I began to ask as she came into the room. Before the last word was out of my mouth, she was already halfway up the stairs, not paying any attention to me or her little sister. 

'Papa, what's wrong with didi?' Kavya asked as the sound of Anjali's bedroom door being violently closed resounded through the house. 

'I don't know.' I answered, wondering what it was that I had done for her to be so mardy with me. You may be wondering why I was so sure I had done something; the answer to that is that, after spending the past eighteen years living with three Bhatt-Dhawan women, I'm pretty much an expert in judging the reason behind their anger, especially when I'm the reason. 'Alright little bug, how about we take a break from the homework and go make some dinner?' I asked Kavya. She happily began to pack up her work, glad to be done with it for the moment.

'What're we making papa?' she questioned as we walked into the kitchen.

'What do you want to make?' I asked her, hoping she would have some idea because I had none. 

'Ummm, well, didi's favourite is lasagna so we should make lasagna cause that might cheer her up.' she suggested, worried about her sister as always. 

'Sounds like a plan. Let's get started.' I went to get the meat out of the freezer but she stopped me.

'Dad, wash your hands first.' she instructed, looking like a mini Alia. Giving her the same sheepish smile I would give her mother, I turned around and washed my hands before getting the meat out while Kavya washed hers and got the pasta and the sauce. 

Alia P.O.V.

As soon as I stepped through the door, I was greeted with the sound of giggles coming from the kitchen. Following the noise, I made my way through the house to find my husband and younger daughter stood by the counter, layering meat, pasta and sauce into dishes. 'We having lasagna for dinner?' I asked, surprising them both. Kavya immediately turned away from the countertop and ran over to give me a hug, leaving Varun to try and catch the pasta she'd dropped before it hit the floor. 'Oof monkey, when'd you get so big?' I asked with a laugh as I returned Kavya's enthusiastic hug. 

'Ma, I'm twelve.' she stated as though that explained everything. 

'Oh don't remind me, you're making me feel old.' Varun complained, coming over and giving me a quick kiss, which made Kavya scrunch up her face and fake gag - just like her sister had at her age. 

'So, why is Anju not joining you in the kitchen today?' I questioned, quickly moving past Varun to grab some of the cheese he'd taken out. Rolling his eyes at the action, he swatted at my hand, stopping me from getting it anywhere near the bowl. 

'How many times do I have to tell you not to eat the ingredients?' he reprimanded, moving the cheese far out of my reach. 'And, I have no idea what happened, but Anjali has been locked up in her room since she got home. Hasn't said a word.' As he spoke, I heard the sound of footsteps on the stairs. Knowing it was my older daughter, I made my way into the next room, surprised to see her dressed to go out. 

'And where do you think you're going?' I asked, taking note of the keys in her hand and the not-so-casual outfit.

'Out.' 

'Anjali, you know the rules. If you're going out after seven, you have to ask papa. And I need to know who you're going out with.' I told her though she usually never needed reminding of the rules.