Hum Aapke Hain Koun

The Realisation

It is after he watches Highway that Varun Dhawan realises he is screwed. Why? Because he is utterly, completely, madly in love with Alia Bhatt who, he thinks, would never feel the same for him. It's not the movie or her acting in it or even her dedication to her work that makes him realise it. The realisation comes later that night when he is trying to fall asleep but all he can think of is how Alia completely poured her life into playing Veera and how he could've lost her because of it. He knows how much the movie means to her and how invested she is in the character but it has never occurred to him before that he could have lost Alia completely. 

The thought of living the rest of his life without her in it absolutely terrifies him and he has a sudden, desperate urge to speak to her, know that she's still Alu, still his best friend, still the person he knows so well. Despite the fact that it is two in the morning, he calls her, expecting to be sent to voicemail. Little does he know that she's laying awake, unable to sleep and longing for a distraction. When her phone rings, she answers it almost immediately, smile lighting up her face as soon as he begins to speak. 'Alia Bhatt, you've made it impossible for me to get any sleep.' he states as soon as the line connects. 

'Why? What've I done?' she asks though she already has a good idea of what it is. 

'Don't act all innocent. I can't stop thinking about you.'

'You saw me a few hours ago and you're missing me already?' she teases. Though she can't see him, he rolls his eyes at the teasing.

'So what if I do? Is that not allowed?' he returns. She laughs and he feels like a weight has been lifted from his chest.

'Seriously though, did you like the movie?' she questions.

'I already told you, it's amazing.' he repeats his words from hours ago but she isn't quite convinced.

'Why do I get the feeling you're hiding something?'

'Me and hide from you? Like that's possible.' he scoffs, trying his hardest not to let on that he's lying through his teeth. In spite of his efforts, she can still tell that he's lying. 

'We both know that you're lying but I'll let it go for now. You aren't going to tell me the truth no matter what I say.' she sighs. He feels slightly guilty that he's being untruthful to her but there's no way he's going to admit to what he's feeling. 'Stop feeling bad.' she instructs, somehow catching onto his feelings. 'You don't have to tell me everything, you know.' 

'See, you say that but you don't really mean it.' 

'Of course I don't. But I have to say it otherwise you'll just keep feeling bad and then you won't be in the mood to joke and depressed Varun is, well, depressing.' she explains, making him laugh. 

'That has got to be the weirdest sentence I have ever heard you say.' he tells her, still laughing.

'Really? I'm pretty sure I've said weirder things. Haven't you noticed I have no filter when I'm talking to you?' she enquires. The words aren't entirely true because there is one thing she's never told him and that is that she's kind of in love with him. Either Alia is better at hiding her feelings or Varun is just not paying as much attention because he doesn't pick up on the lie.

'That is true but still, depressed Varun is depressing?' he mocks, chuckling at her way of phrasing things.

'It's true.' she defends and he can almost see the pout on her face, the way she would have crossed her arms over her chest as she fake sulks.

'Oh don't go all mardy on me Alu. You know I'm just messing with you.' he tells her. Though he can't see her, he knows the pout has dropped from her face and a smile will have started to form, despite her attempts to fight it. 'I heard this joke today, thought you might like it. Wanna hear it?'