Baar baar din yeh aaye

A/N: Two quick things:

First, my phone does not let me do dedications for some bizarre reason, so I just want to say that this is for ranpika whose comments never fail to put a smile on my face for a whole day.

Second, if you guys have any ideas for a Varia one shot that you'd want, let me know and I can give it a try.

Alia P.O.V.

It was exactly midnight when my phone rang. I probably shouldn't have been awake considering I have promotions to do tomorrow, but I couldn't sleep. I knew this phone call would be coming. Every year since we met, he would call me at exactly midnight on my birthday. Or, if we were filming together, he would come see me.

I answered the call quickly, the loud noise of my ringtone a little deafening in the silence.

'Hello.' I whispered.

'Hi, Alu.' Hearing Varun's voice made all the stress and tension leave my body immediately.

'Hey. What's up?' I asked.

'It is now the 15th of March. Which means you are officially 23.'

'I am. I have been 23 for a total of three minutes.'

'Happy birthday, Alu.' I could hear the smile in his voice.

'Thank you. Honestly, it doesn't really feel like my birthday though. Usually I'm really excited for my birthday, but this year it barely even registered that it's my birthday.' I sighed.

'Why? Did you get in a fight with Sid or something?' He asked.

'No. And what difference would that make anyway?'

'Getting into a fight with your boyfriend right before your birthday would dampen your mood I'd think.'

'Varun, if I have to tell you once more that I am not dating Sid, I am never going to speak to you again.' I swear we have had this conversation a thousand times and yet he still believes the rumours.

'You aren't dating him but you've said you love him and you take him to your friend's parties. I'm not an idiot, Alia. I can put the pieces together.'

'Between you and Sid, this is the only conversation I ever have! Except with him, he's saying it about you! Is there some kind of bet between you two? Or is this some competition?' I fumed.

'He thinks you're with me? Is he nuts?' Varun asked disbelief evident in his voice.

'Why is that so crazy? Is it that hard to imagine us together?' I asked, slightly offended.

'Nooo. But considering you've been filming and promoting with him for the past few months, it makes sense that you'd be with him not me.'

'How does that make any sense? I spend so much time with you when I'm not filming. It would make more sense for us to be together. I spend time with Sid because I have to, I spend time with you because I want to.'

'Can we please not get into an argument? I wanted to call you and say happy birthday and just talk. I'm sorry for starting this argument, again, and I promise I won't bring it up again. I swear on chicken.'

'If you didn't want to get into an argument, you shouldn't have brought this up. I'm tired of having this conversation with the both of you.' I huffed.

'I said I'm sorry, Alia. What more do you want?'

'The point is you shouldn't have had to say sorry because this conversation shouldn't have happened in the first place! I feel like the only reason either you have interest in me is because of some stupid competition you've got going between yourselves! It's not even so bad when he does it, but you're supposed to be my best friend!' I ranted.

'You're right. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm sorry I made you feel that way. You aren't part of a competition. I should never have treated you like that. I should no better. That's exactly how Rohan ended up losing Shanaya after all.' He sounded almost defeated.

'Varun, this isn't about that. We're always going to be friends. I just don't want this constant you're with him, no you're with him deal that I constantly have to deal with.' I told him.

'I can promise that I won't do it anymore. I can't say for Sid, but if I ever make that kind of assumption again, I will...' I could imagine how he would look around, trying to think of something. 'I will never eat chicken again. Or pizza.' I laughed at how serious he sounded.

'Would you really? You would really be able to give up chicken?' Varun's first love is chicken, he would never give it up. Pizza I may have believed.

'Yes. If I ever make you feel like I don't value as a friend, I will give up chicken.' I realised he was actually being completely serious.

'Varun, don't be ridiculous. I don't want you to give anything up. But thank you for the gesture. It's very sweet.'

'I'm not sweet!' He protested.

'You are. You are the sweetest guy I know.'

'Alia, do not call me sweet! I am lots of things, but sweet is not one of them!'

'You are a lot of things and sweet is definitely one of them.'

'Okay. But don't tell anyone. Only you can say that.'

'Okay.' I yawned and checked the time. 'I best go to sleep. It's almost one. I've got to be up early.'

'Okay. I'll speak to you later.'

'Okay.' I was about to put the phone down.

'Listen, when you get back, we should do something. Go out to eat or see a film. If you want to.'

'Yeah. We should. You do mean just me and you right?'

'Yeah. Me and you. Unless you want to invite someone else?'

'No. Just me and you is fine. When were you thinking?'

'Next Monday? The 21st?'

'Sounds good.'

'Okay. Then it's a date.' He stated.

'A date?' I asked with a smile.

'Yeah. A date. You know, when two people go out together, for a meal or watch a movie or whatever. A date.'

'Alright. It's a date.' I agreed.

'Okay. Then I will see you soon. Good night.'

'See you soon. Good night.' I hung up and put the phone back on charge before finally going to sleep, smiling and sleeping peacefully for the first time in weeks.

A/N: that was weird to write. It's been a while since I wrote a chapter that was entirely on the phone. I think it's been a few months.

I know it's a bit early to be posting a chapter for Alia's birthday, but I'm going to try and get another birthday one up tomorrow.

Hope you liked it.

See you soon.