It's the Time to Disco

Alia P.O.V.

It was the nineteenth of April when I realised that there was only five days until my best friend's birthday. I had been so busy lately that I hadn't even registered that his birthday was coming up. I had five days to figure out what to get him and, as usual, I had no clue what to get him. Usually I took at least a month to find him a present but I didn't have the time. I didn't know what to do so I called Arjun, thinking that he would know what Varun would like.

Turns out that Arjun is completely useless at giving advice. The only thing he said to me was that Varun will like anything I give him. The only helpful thing he told me was that Varun wasn't having a party for his birthday. I know it was short notice but I decided to try and get everyone together for a party.

I spent the day making phone calls. I called Pari, Shraddha, Adi, anyone I could think of. Surprisingly, they all said they could make it. I'm not sure how I'm going to plan this party in four days but I'll have to. That's not such a big worry anyway; our friends would be happy to sit around with some pizzas and sodas just chill. I needed to find him a present.

Best place to turn when you're looking for a gift: the Internet.

Somehow, in my search for a gift, I ended up on youtube. Of course, once you get on youtube, it's impossible to get off of it and you go from watching a song to watching some old interview, which is how I ended up watching the song launch for Samjhawan Unplugged. I don't know how I got from watching Jay Sean's music to watching the launch for my own song, but it happened. I'm kind of glad it happened because it gave me an idea.

I shut my laptop and grabbed pen and a notebook, ideas already forming in my head.

***

I ignored all my phone calls and messages that night. I had only used my phone once to message Varun and ask if he was free on Sunday night and told him about the party. Thankfully, he said he could make it as long as he could bring some friends.

I didn't fall asleep until gone four in the morning and then I woke up with my face stuck to my phone, which was buzzing, and crumpled sheets of paper littering my bed.

I peeled my phone off my face, answering it in the process. 'Hello' I said, voice thick with sleep.

'Alia, I've been trying to get a hold of you all night! Why weren't you answering?' Came Sid's overly loud voice.

'Chill, I was busy. I didn't answer anyone's phone.' I told him.

'What were you so busy with that you couldn't answer the phone?'

'I was planning Varun's party and trying to sort out his present. You know how hard it is to shop for this guy?' I complained.

'I don't put to much thought into things for Varun. I'm pretty sure none of us do except you.' He snapped. I was used to his overreactions when it comes to Varun.

'Sid, we've talked about this. He's my best friend.'

'Yeah, and you always put more effort into things you do for him than you do for anyone else.'

'I really don't have time for this. I'll talk to you later.' I told him, hanging up the phone before he could object.

The crumpled papers fell to the floor as I sat up. Not really caring about the mess my room was now in, I grabbed my notebook and saw that I had actually managed to come up with something. As I read through it, I realised that my writing skills are pretty damn good, even if I do say so myself.