Ishq Complicated

Varun walks into Alia's room with snacks in one hand and ice cream that he'd dug out of the back of the freezer in the other. 'It's gonna be hard to binge on junk without the junk you know?' 

'I thought I was forgetting something,' she says, getting up from her spot perched on the edge of the bed and making her way towards him, taking the ice cream tub from his hand. 'Spoons?' 

It takes him a moment to respond, his brain crashing when he realises that the oversized t-shirt she's wearing is one of his old ones. He has to force himself to breathe and speak, falling back on their tried and tested easy banter when he speaks again. 'Damn, I forgot. Guess we'll have to eat with our fingers,' he deadpans, chuckling at her eye roll before raising the bag in his other hand. 'They're in here. Last time I dropped a spoon around here, Eddie was on it faster than I could pick it up.' 

'I remember that,' she comments with a laugh; ' he went and hid the bloody thing, didn't find it for a month.' 

'Again I have to ask, are you sure Eddie's a cat and not a dog?' She laughs again but shakes her head, reaching out and taking the bag from him, digging through it for the spoons. When she finds them, she dumps the bag on the bed and pops the top off of the ice cream tub, digging in with relish. 

Her eyes close as she takes a bite of the ice cream and she lets out a small noise of pleasure - one that Varun is sure she only makes to tease him. 'It's been so long since I've actually had ice cream, I think I forgot how good it tastes,' she says as she opens her eyes, a smile playing at her lips as she looks at him, clearly very aware of what she's doing to him. 

'Didn't you say you gave up on the health nut nonsense?' he asks, raising an eyebrow. 

'I did. But ice cream should only be eaten when it can be fully enjoyed and I haven't had the time to do that in a while.' He tilts his head, conceding the point, and then they both fall silent for a moment, enjoying the comfortable quiet. 

And then she breaks the silence with: 'are you planning on standing there all night then Dhawan or are you gonna make yourself comfortable?' gesturing at him with her spoon. With nothing more than a shrug, he reaches down to the hem of his shirt, gripping it and pulling it up over his head in one fluid motion. 

For the second time in little more than two hours, Alia finds herself watching her best friend undress. And, once more, she finds that she doesn't feel the need to tear her gaze from him. With much less room between them this time, it's a lot harder for her to ignore his more than impressive physique - and a lot easier for him to notice exactly how she reacts to him. 

He watches her as he reaches a hand to the waistband of his jeans, watches her watch him as he unbuttons and unzips them, letting them drop to the ground. 

And then he's standing there in nothing more than his boxers and she's in his old t-shirt and, for a moment, they both think that maybe this will finally be the time that they stop beating around the bush. That this will be the time that they finally make that move, finally change the script. 

But then, her gaze travels lower without her meaning it to and she realises that she's been staring, that they're so damn close to letting things go down a path they've avoided for so long, and she blinks, shaking her head ever so slightly and clearing her throat. 'You ready for a night of binge watching then, Vee?' she asks, amusement lacing her tone. 

'Alright then, let's see what you've got lined up for me then,' he says with a heavy sigh. She grins, and it's a smile that he's very familiar with, one that tells him that she's probably picked the trashiest show on her watch list. He lets out a small groan but goes to the bed with no more complaint, puling back the covers and making himself comfortable as he gestures for her to join him.