You Lost My Kid!

Varun P.O.V.

Taking a four year old to Disney Land in the middle of December might not be the greatest idea but we've never taken her out of India before and she's been asking us to take her to Disney since she found out it exists so here we are.

We got to the park early this morning and we've barely had the chance to sit down. Anjali wants to see everything and anything, go on all the rides and meet all the characters because, despite repeated assurances from both myself and Alia, she won't believe that we are going to come back tomorrow as well. I can't imagine where she gets the energy from, even I couldn't keep up. By about six, me and Alia were both exhausted and even Anjali had to admit that she was hungry.

We decided to go and eat and then head back to the hotel. After figuring our what to eat, me and Anjali went to find food while Alia went to sit down.

I really wish I would have told her to stay with Alia.

I let go of her hand for thirty seconds so I could pay for the food and then I turn around to find that my daughter has disappeared. My immediate reaction was to panic, I'd just lost my four year old daughter of course I'd panic, but I quickly calmed myself, thinking that maybe she'd just gone back to Alia and knowing that, even if she hadn't, panicking would not help me find her.

I made my way back to where Alia was sitting, trying not to show how worried I was. My heart sank as I got closer, not seeing Anjali anywhere. 'Where's Anju?' My wife asked as I put the food down.

'I thought she came over here.'

'You mean you just let her walk off by herself?' She queried, clearly angry.

'No, I let go of her hand for half a minute to take the money out and, next thing I know, she's gone.'

'What do you mean she's gone?!'

'I mean I don't know where she is. She must have run off.' I explained.

'How the hell could you just let her run off?' She snapped at me.

'I didn't! I told her to stay where she was while I paid, but she didn't listen.'

'She's four! Of course she didn't listen!' Alia exclaimed.

'She's never done something like this before. No matter where we are, she listens to what I tell her. What reason would I have to think she would ignore my instruction?' I questioned.

'She's a four year old at Disney Land. She probably saw a character and followed them! She doesn't know that we don't know where she's going!'

'I know that but that doesn't mean you need to be so angry at me!'

'I shouldn't be angry? I have every right to be angry! How could you be so irresponsible, Varun?'

'Thirty seconds, Alia. I let go of her hand for thirty seconds! I didn't think she would go anywhere. You know she hates going two feet without us in places she knows, I didn't think she would move.'

'I can't believe you! First you lose Anjali and now you're blaming it on her!'

'I'm not blaming it on Anjali! I accept that I lost her but I didn't do it on purpose!'

'On purpose or not, you lost my kid!' She yelled. I opened my mouth to reply but stopped short when I realised what she had said.

'Our kid.' I said after a minute, my voice way too calm, an indication that I was about to completely lose my temper. I saw Alia's anger draining as she registered what she had said. She went to say something but I didn't pay attention, walking away from her without listening to or speaking another word.