RoRo's Lullaby

"So now I have to take care of the problem child? I have things to do Patton!"

"Roman! Virgil is not a problem child! All you have to do is put him to bed."

"Fine. C'mon rugrat."

Virgil clung to Patton's leg, hiding his face in the fuzzy fabric, "No papa!"

"It's just Roman, Virge, you can't hang on to my pajama's forever Kiddo!"

"He's scary."

"Really now? Roman, you wouldn't hurt Virgil, would you?"

"Of course not! I am a prince, not some Disney villain!"

A weak, "Promise?" came from the squeaky voice of Virgil.

Roman lifted his right hand in salute, "I promise."

"Okay, Virge?"

Virgil eyed Roman suspiciously, "Mmk, Princey."

"Excellent! To your room, Wednesday Adams!"

Virgil scurried to his room fast, hiding under the covers quickly, waiting for Roman to get there.

"You all tucked in?"

"Uh-huh."

"Okay, what now?

"Papa reads a story."

Roman wouldn't say it out loud, but he was exhausted, and reading a fairy-tale right now wasn't something he felt like doing. It had been a long day, too many princes needed saving, too many dragons to defeat, too many magical things happened. The last thing he wanted to do was recite tales of the things he's had too much of today. So, instead, he opted for what always helps after a bad day.

"How about a song? Like, a lullaby?"

"... Okay."

The princely character began to sing a classic, somewhere over the rainbow. He brushed back Virgil's hair and rubbed circles on the back of his hand with his thumb. He tucked the covers in a bit tighter around the child and fluffed the pillow. He watched as Virgil yawned and snuggled in close on himself, his mouth open just the slightest as his breathing evened out. He finished the song, and he assumed Virgil asleep, but as he closed the door, a faint and tired voice reached his ears.

"Thanks for the song, RoRo."

The prince smiled. Pat was right, maybe he wasn't a problem child.